Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New 69 K5

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by firefighter184, May 14, 2003.

1. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Bought a 69 K5 today. 350 crate motor, 4 inch Superlift, 33 BFG M/Ts. Hard top and Bikini too. Small problem with the electrical. Sometimes, you have to crawl underneath and short the starter to get her running. Any ideas on what's wrong? She cost me $1500.00 /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!
    As for the open wire issue my first guess is the key tumbler turny thing is wore out or has loose wire that alows it to open from time to time?????
    Congrats on the SCORE!!!

3. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i have to agrre with burt. if its running on the 30 year old ignition switch it could definatley be it. check it for loos wires. they are cake to replace anyway. to get the tumbler out. stick a paperclip in the hole beside the key slot insert key and turn. congrats on the 69.

69K5
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    nathan

4. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i have to agrre with burt. if its running on the 30 year old ignition switch it could definatley be it. check it for loos wires. they are cake to replace anyway. to get the tumbler out. stick a paperclip in the hole beside the key slot insert key and turn. congrats on the 69. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

69K5
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    nathan

5. Tuff

Tuff Registered Member

Awesome. Show us some pics, man.

6. firefighter184

I'll get pics up in the next week or so. Now, I have a wheelin trip for the 25th set up. The question is, do I take my 2nd Gen, or my 1st gen? Believe it or not, the 69 is for my wife. I have too much into my 1st gen to stop now. Besides, she'll get sick of it when winter comes and she has to fight the leaky hard top, finicky heater, etc. Then it will be mine. HA HA HA HA HA HA....evil laugh... /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I replaced the tumbler and the plug that goes into the back of the ignition. The previous owner by passed the keyed start switch with a toggle switch when the tumbler wore out. He did some very poor wiring and it resulted in the plug melting! He also disabled the neutral safety switch so you could crank the starter at any time. Luckly, there was no damage to the flywheel!

I like your thinking on making that '69 yours! Maybe you shouldn't fix that ignition problem so quickly.

8. cleszkie

cleszkie 1/2 ton status

Congrats on the K5. I had to short the starter to start my 72 K5 a couple of times too. The starter solinoid was cooked from being so close to the header. This is a condition known as "heat soak", and it is common to the short block chevy with headers. I got a high heat solinoid and a 950 cold cranking amp Optima battery and have never had the problem again. Another solution is to have a remote solinoid wired in to keep it away from all heat sources. Good luck...

9. bouncytruck

cleszkie - what about a heat shield.

10. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

bouncytruck

heat shields will help. you can steel one from a newer truck or kill a coffe can. dont cut your fingers off though. you can relocate the solenoid to. there was a post about it a while back do a ase3arch if your interested.

nathanj
    69k5

11. cleszkie

cleszkie 1/2 ton status

Bouncy-

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. Even with a high temp solinoid, a heat shield is still probably a good thing to have.

12. firefighter184

Its got a new solenoid and heat shield. The ignition is original, so I think the actual key ignition is giving up the ghost. I'm thinking of installing a push button start switch in a discreet place (on the right side of the driver's seat). $35.00 at pep boys. Good idea?

13. bouncytruck

New ignition switch is around $17 and the new key cylinder is around $10 in LMC. You might be able to get them both cheaper at the local NAPA. If you wire in a push button, make sure you wire it through the neutral safety switch. When my truck had the toggle, I hated it. The key had to be in the right position to run but you could turn the starter at any time.

14. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i have a start button on mine. i have the coil wired through a toggle switch. that way i can kill it and it is completely independant of the ignition. dont forget to have your accesories on the constant hot. or you will have to reset you accesories. if i remember this right these are the wires.

brown - accesories
    pink or red (big) - hot battery
    yellow - hot when cranked
    purple - wire to cross to engage starter.

hope this doesnt confuse you to much /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

nathan/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    69K5 /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

when i replaced my ignition swith it came with a new tumbler for 15 bucks.i would rather have that than a toggle switch.the dash looks ghetto in my opinion with a bunch of toggles stickin out on it.

16. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

mine are in the center console with the radio so no one sees them.

nathan

17. firefighter184

So, it only took two days for the wifey to get tired of it. She says it's too bouncy. It is, but my back is strong and my ass is steel. Now though, I have to either sell her pathfinder and give her my 85 Jimmy, or sell the Jimmy. Either way, the money goes into the new truck. I'm thinking 3/4 ton axles and a rear locker for starters. Maybe a TH400? Guess I'll figure that out when I have the dough in my wallet.

18. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

GIVE HER THE JIMMY AND LOSE THE PATHFINDER!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. firefighter184

Yup. It took some explaining, but I convinced her to keep the Jimmy. Pathfinder for lunch anyone? She don't like being a passenger when wheelin, so I explained that if she wants to make me happy and enjoy the hills with me, she needs CAPABILITY. So, the Pathfinder is getting sold. Now I have to find a way to convince her that the Rear locker is something I can't live without. 35s too, but that might be a little later /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Oh yeah, according to the VIN, it's a 72, NOT a 69. Who cares, still SWEEEEEET

20. firefighter184

ME AND SOME OTHER CK5ERS ARE GOING UP SUNDAY. SLAUGHTERHOUSE GULCH. MEETING AT THE CONOCO JUST EAST OF BAILEY OFF 285 AT 10:00AM. NEED MORE 1ST GENS OUT THERE, BUT BRING WHAT YOU WILL, ANY AND ALL WELCOME! PM ME FOR OTHER DETAILS AND QUESTIONS. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif