Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

!! New '69K5 Parts..... and YES, there are PICs !!

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Greg72, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

In the absence of a workshop (for now).....I simply collect parts and wait patiently for my build to start.

Here's what arrived today, courtesy of my new friends to the North (Canada, eh?)....

CNC Mog 404 Portal Boxes from Mark @ MSI !!!! :bow:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To answer your next question: YES, They are in my bedroom and that's where they are probably staying until the day I install them! :usaflag:

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

YYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHELLLYA!!

Damn!! I would be sleeping with thoes too!:haha: :doah:

Nice pics...I love the different poses...they all look SO AWESOME!

So are you just in a forever collecting parts phase..or just waiting for summer to start wrenching?

AWESOME DOOOD!:bow:

3. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Look sweet to me! So what all is going to happen with this project?

4. Greg72

Well......the short-version of the story is that I'm moving into a new house in the next month or so. The new place has a real garage (aka "MANSPACE"!) so I will finally have a decent amount of room to do some wrenching again. It has been almost 3 years since I had decent shop space, and I have missed those "therapy sessions" in the garage.....spinning wrenches, listening to music, and just dreaming of crazy modifications to try. :eek1:

At the present time, I have 3 projects that I'm planning to do......

1. "Stomper" ('72K5) - This is the truck I've had since 2001 and it's come a long way since I bought it, but there are still a number of areas where it is still not very impressive. I have placed an order for an Atlas4 transfercase (with 5.44:1 gears) to give me a decent crawl ratio....something that I've never had with a TH350/NP205 and 4.10s combo!! At the same time, I've got a completed 502BBC that will replace my trusty (but underperforming) 396BBC, and the TH350 will stand down in favor of a beefier, freshly-built TH400. After that, I have plans to deal with some of the ergonomic / comfort items that this vehicle needs. Things like new upholstery (to replace the towels that cover the exposed springs and seat foam....and some heat shielding for the floors to control how much I cook myself when I drive. Oh yes, I'm going to 4-link the rear to control the inevitable axle-wrap from that 502. I already have a box full of brand-new heims (that have been sitting around for about 4 years), so why not finally use them??? :dunno:

2. "Trogdor" ('72 2WD 'Burb) - This is my tow rig and all-around "land yacht" for cruising. I can't explain how fun it is to drive around in such a huge conveyance....though I can explain how awesome it is to be able to haul 10' 2x4s without even leaving the tailgate down!!! This vehicle has been a good tow rig for me, but it's unfair to expect it to continue pulling my 7,500Lb trailer with only a 350SBC and a TH350 tranny. I've got a 496 that's going together now (yet ANOTHER thing I've "collected" over the past 3 years!) and I'm going to have to come up with some other tranny to back it up properly. Maybe a TH400 and a GearVendors overdrive? Who knows? The other thing I'm playing around with is the idea of putting this vehicle on a complete AirRide suspension....partially for leveling it out when towing, but also for the fun of driving "low and slow...." if I feel like it. The $$$ really adds up fast for a project like that, so I'm considering putting that one off for at least a year. Maybe just the motor/trans swap in the near-term??

3. "The Uber-K5" ('69K5) - This is the real budget-killer......basically a full-custom, tube-framed K5, skinned with the 1st Gen panels (removeable) with a full multilinked front and rear suspension with King coilovers, a big, stompy BBC linked to a Viper T56 (6-speed manual) and an Atlas4 box with 5.44:1 gears....power ultimately goes to a set of Mog 404 axles (which is where those new "blingy" portals get installed) that will get disc brakes and the CTIS (Central Tire Inflation System) as well. Almost everything will be hand-fabricated (by me) and I envision this as a multi-year endeavor......something that I go out and work on in the shop when I feel like spending some "quality time" with my tools and manspace. This one isn't an urgent build.....especially once the '72K5 gets it's "upgrades"....I'll have a capable rig to wheel with whenever I want, so this one will be more of a test-bed for all my engineering ideas, designs and schemes.

That's about it.....as you can tell, the ideas (and quite a few parts!) have been piling up over the last few years, and soon it will finally be time to start assembling things and making them look the way I've already built them in my own mind. :saweet:

:usaflag:

5. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

I like the plans for each of your rigs! It's good to have a plan worked out - they can always be modified but good to know what you want and how to get there.

Now I'm excited for you to move into your new house so you can start posting info as the projects progress. Very cool that you will have you MANSPACE. When we moved out of the city I was very fortunate to buy a home and property with a 40'x60' shop already built. Not so sure I could have talked my wife into building a shop like that and at todays prices it would have been very expensive to build what I now have.

So, you kinda like bbc's, eh? :haha: :bow:

6. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    wow i just popped a boner...sorry......:o

7. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Those portal boxes are SWEET!!! Does MSI have a website?

8. Greg72

http://www.mooresport.com/

You won't find out much about the portals on that site. They are a race shop but can do custom machining which is how they got started on the portal work. They are "build to order" and take quite a while to get. I placed the deposit back in December 2006.

9. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Nice parts, to bad your not very excited about em. :haha:

10. Greg72

Just wait.....

I bought a '67 Panel Wagon too. Just wait until I get new photos of THAT!!! :D

:usaflag: