Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"new" 74 K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jman74, Sep 1, 2001.

1. jman74

jman74 Registered Member

\"new\" 74 K5

This is my first 4x4...so I'm going to need some suggestions on what to do with it... I bought it because I got sick and tired of these people with these "SUV" thingies getting in my way on the road.... problem solved.

It's not in the best condition... but it runs... and it's got a 4 inch lift with 35's on it... needs a new top, and the interior has just about had it. Anybody wanna throw some advice at me?

Where would be the best place to start with this monster?

Any input is greatly appreciated.... thanks in advance

jman

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: \"new\" 74 K5

Start by patting yourself on the back! [​IMG] You managed to find yerself a full convertable K5 right out of the gate. I also just picked up a 74 Blazer...but its more or less a bare body on a rolling chassis. It'll be a ground up resto/build-up.

For suggestions, I would say go through the truck front to back and top to bottom mechanically first. Make sure its all safe and well maintained. Replace all the fluids and filters.

Once its good mechanically then start on the 'pretty' stuff. There was a memeber here giving away a hardtop for a 75 in Michigan, but I don't know if he still has it or not.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Also you can start by filling out your profile. It helps alot if you forget something when you ask a ? on it. And also welcome to the best site on the net.[​IMG] Like Rene said make sure all the machanicals are good before doing anything.

<font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

4. jman74

jman74 Registered Member

Thanks for the advice... I ordered an aftermarket wiring harness today for $350 bucks... not bad since it replaces EVERY wire in the truck and converted the fuses from glass to plastic... might be a week or 2 before I try that one.

I am a little confused about the 4 wheel drive tranny though... where should the shifter be for normal road use?... how do you shift it? Sorry for asking simple questions... but like I said...it's my first 4 wheeler.

5. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

For everyday driving, your transfer case should be in 2 Hi. To shift, the best procedure is to come to a stop, lock in the hubs if you already haven't and put the tranny in neutral, then shift into 4 lo or 4 hi, depending on what you need it for.

1 tequila 2 tequila 3 tequila Floor
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

6. jman74

jman74 Registered Member

I'll also post some pics tomorrow... let me know if I got a good deal or not... paid 2K for it... I thought it was a deal but I could be wrong :-)

Thanks,

Jman

"now will you please get out of my way?"

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

ALL RIGHT! another Roadster!!!!!!!!!. Were catching up!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome to CK5.
    If your truck has the full time option the shifter will be marked (from all the way foward to back)
    LO LOC
    LOW
    N
    High
    High LOC
    For the street High is what you want.
    If the truck has those shifter markings It has a full time NP203 Case. If you have locking hubs then it has been converted to Part time. The LOC posisitons are your 4x4 and the High and Low are 2wd. Yes 2 Low.
    A NP203 that has been converted needs to be put in High LOC every 200 miles. Leave the hubs unlocked and drive a couple miles at about 45mph. This is VERY important.
    The 203 was designed to be lubricated by the Chain that drive the front output. When converted that chain no longer spins. If you look at the case you will notice the tail cone is very large. There is a Resivior in the tailshaft and a pump the sends oil to the bearing in the very back of the case. This Resivior gets filled by catching oil slung off the chain. If it runs dry then the tail shaft bearing will run dry and be ruined.
    Parking the truck nose down and slightly over filling a converted 203 is not a bad idea. It will help having the oil a bit high so that it slosh over the lip of the resivior and helps keep it full.
    The 203 also runs MOTOR oil not gear oil. Gear oil is to thick for the pump and in cold weather it can break the pump (it's plastic). 10w30 or 10w40 is fine. What ever is the oil you use for the engine will be fine for the case. Buy a case and chage the oil in the case. It is supose to be changed about every 10-15k. To drain it take the bottom 2 bolts out of the lower cover on the back. They go through the housing and will act as a drain plug.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

8. jman74

jman74 Registered Member

wow...that sounds...ummm hard to remember :)

but that is exactly what it looks like. Does the truck have to be running to shift it? I tried shifting it earlier, but no go. I'll follow your instructions tomorrow and see if it'll move. hopefully it's not locked up.

I just found a top on the net for it. It has one of the old best tops on it..but it's in bad shape, and the install was botched by the previous owner. With the new top I'll get to fill in all the damn holes from the snaps that he drilled in the bed (such a messy job).

thanks for the info...

Thanks,

Jman

"now will you please get out of my way?"<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by jman74 on 09/01/01 09:48 PM.</FONT></P>

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well with the kind of quality reply you get from Grim..it would be best to use the "print" feature so you don't hjave to remember everything.
    It'll be at the bottom of grimmy's post...click on it.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

10. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

Re:

ill just share my experience on this topic,

go ahead and buy the biggest tires they make, fender trimming, 1 ton axles, hydro steering, full cage, on board welder and air, coil over three link suspension, doubler t-case, big block fuelinjection,...

im sorry, its past my bedtime.
    MTPockets

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/moneypit.shtml>http://coloradok5.com/moneypit.shtml</a>

11. FWP

FWP CRS

Re:

Paint it Orange(red) and White!!!!, Just Kidding with you... (Hispanicpanic, jump in at any time[​IMG]). Welcome to the second Gen club!!! I've been looking for a second 73-75 K5 to use as a trail rig only- Hack the heck out of the fenders, primer paint, remove the doors, tailgate, topless, tube steel everywhere etc.... I love these things!

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/75K5>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/75K5</a>

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Re:

NO! I'm painting mine orange! I called it first.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Tread Lightly!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com>www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com</a>

13. jman74

jman74 Registered Member

Re:

You are all too late on the orange paint... it still has the factory orange and white paint on it.

I got a covered parking space for the Blazer and it just barely fits in it (post pics later). I'm going to chunk the old top today and start working on the bed. All the rust and holes are going to have be repaired before I can put the fast-trac top on.

and I'm selling the rights to the orange/white paint job if anyone is interested.... first $1.67 gets it.

Thanks,

Jman

"now will you please get out of my way?"

14. not4show

not4show 1/2 ton status

Re:

Hey, I had my truck painted hugger orange about a year ago and I love it. Plus, I'm a big Dukes of Hazzard fan too.

Never put a stupid move passed a stupid person.

15. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Re:

My '73 Camaro was originally that orange too.

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs
    buildin a 400 for it, any info greatly appreciated

16. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Re:

My buddy and I are big Dukes of Hazzard fans too. He went as far as painting his 10 ft aluminum boat orange and put the 01 on the sides and has a couple of Confederate flags on the side too. It kicks a$$.

17. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Re:

My 70 GTO is orbit orange.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

18. Medman74K5

Medman74K5 Registered Member

Re:

Congratulations hold on to it. I picked up a 75 a while back, now all I need is a 73 to finish off the collection, LOL. The full convertible was only made for 3 years, enjoy.

19. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

20. Medman74K5

Medman74K5 Registered Member

Re:

Right, I wasn't including the 69-72 since this is the 73-91 forum, although I would love to own someday.