Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New 87' -please read

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Super Chevy, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Super Chevy

Super Chevy Registered Member

New 87\' -please read

Finally got my k5,

got a 87' with 30/700
    new michelans 31x10.5
    runs nice
    replaced rear frame and supports,no wheelwell rust or anything
    for $1325 (talked down from 1850)

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif but,as soon as i get it home, i let down the gate, and the rear window motor turns but wont roll the window down/up. i went to shut it and had the glass down,well the glass sprang up and shattered /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif so now i need to find some rear limo tinted factory glass /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ah,forgot time to add a signature

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Re: New 87\' -please read

If its the glass with the clear dots, GOOD LUCK! I looked for 13 weeks before I found one. Drove 450 miles one way and paid $100 for it! Hope you have better luck than I did if thats what you are looking for.
    If your wanting the actuall tinted glass, Dont buy the tinted glass from LMC Truck (its actually green tinted). Best bet would be to go to a junk yard and ask them if they can order it from an aftermarket supplier. Should be about $140-150 bucks is what I got priced from a few places.
    Jeremiah
    Is it fuel injected? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. jjlaughner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    rear window motor turns but wont roll the window down/up

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like the drive cable, Mine went bad (one of the connectors at the end let loose) and its hard to get the glass to go up and down without helping it along. Never had it spring up though, its too slow for that.
    Check out the CK5 links post in the forums area for parts places, this site is ALOT of help.
    Good luck again!
    Jeremiah

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE! If I knew were you were I might be able to help you find a rear window.

5. Super Chevy

Yeah its throttle body

blue dots? cant tell now ,its in a million pieces /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

gonna call some salvage yards tomarrow, if nothing comes up then i may have to call an auto glass person, cause i need this fixed asap, prolly have to fork out 150 to have them install glass though

6. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Thanks for filling out your profile. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I would suggest looking in the phone book for places that replace windshields and stuff. When I blew mine out I called a local windshield replacement place that we use at work and they got one and even installed in for me. If i remember correctly it was about $150.

7. jjlaughner

8. Super Chevy

thnx for the pics,

i think i had the regular privacy glass. it was real dark like limo tint. A local shop quoted me $320 for new glass,side tracks with felt,frame,cable,and window track,installed,should be done by wednesday, i need a glass so i can put my two mtx 12's and mtx thunder 8302 amp

9. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Is that in the glass or on the glass? You can buy tint that looks like that. You can get the static cling kind or the traditional kind with soap and water application.

10. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

its on top of the glass, on the inside side, but its not really tint, mine looks more like its painted on, kinda like the ink? that they use to write "saftey glass" on windows...
    i really like mine, i know if i broke it i'd want to replace it with an original or aftermarket, but i know they're hard to find...

so good luck super chevy and congrats on the new k5

11. Ryan2286

Ryan2286 Registered Member

yeah I broke mine too. but I just replaced mine with a piece of tinted plexiglass. It doesn't fit perfect but its better than paying over 100 for something like that, plus the 40 for the pieces need to fix the mechanism. yeah I was cosidering just buying a soft top for about 400$ thats only about 250 when you figure you don't have to buy any glass.

12. jjlaughner

Its painted on, designed not to scratch the glass/tint on the inside when it slides up and down. They do make a perferated vinyl you can use on the outside (used on buses for graphics, similar to the pickup truck back window decals). We print on it at work. Pretty cool stuff and you can really see through it pretty good, I dont know how long it would stay on on the outside of the glass though (guess it depends on how much you roll it up and down).
    The tint on the inside (the painted type) was a factory option that came on 87, I have the order invoice and shippers slip (not to mention the paper plate) since my pops bought it new in 88! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

OK, I know what you're talking about. I've seen the stuff on lots of different vehicles from the mid to late eighties. I've seen quite a few thirdgen Camaros and Monte Carlo SSs with it.