Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Alternator Question

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by dallassnowman, Apr 8, 2004.

1. dallassnowman

dallassnowman 1/2 ton status

Just replaced alternator and all belts, after the old one died. And now while at idle with the ac on, my volts drop low, almost to the line above the red mark. I replaced with an orginal replacement alt....My question is..."Is this normal and is this ok or good???" All I have is an aftermarket radio. While driving it sits well above 13 volts.

2. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Sounds "normal" to me. Though you may want to check your battery connections and grounds, just to make sure they are tight.

3. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Wow...thats pretty low!! I put the a stock one back on mine and it started doing that. I found out that I had pulled a wire off the starter that was to all my "hot" stuff in the rig.

Check all the grounds and connections and check at the battery how much is being put out by the alt. I bought an AutoCrap one and it failed. Went to NAPA paid a bit more and got a better one and it works great!!

4. dallassnowman

dallassnowman 1/2 ton status

Yip its an auto crap one ill have to check all that...Thanks for all the info!! That really fits them (AUTO CRAP)!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif