Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEW Amp Question!

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 87BrnRsd, Dec 22, 2003.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Can anyone tell me if any of these are good amps? I was looking around on ebay for amps, and saw a few mmats, and zapco, and orion amp, but none seemed te be what I needed power wise. So, I did find a few that looked about what power I need, but I dont know if they are quality. The three brands that stick out in my mind are Audiobahn, Alpine, and Kenwood. Can anyone tell me if these are quality made amps? Thanks.

I have a few questions about powering my subs in my blazer. First off, it is an 87 K5 350 TBI, so it has the stock alternator (i dont know how many amps that is.) I have 2 12" Alpine type R subs that are rated for 1000w peak, and 300w rms power a piece. My question is, what amp should I get for these. My budget for the amp is between $250-300, but I will probably buy it off of ebay so I SHOULD be able to get a pretty nice amp for that price. I have been looking at the MTX 1004 4 Channel amp. I was just wondering if you guys think this amp would power my subs good, and if it is a nice amp or not. I am not looking for a competition loud system, mostly sound quality, but still want it to get fairly loud. I was also wondering what else I need with that. I know I will also need to buy a capacitor, but how big do yall recommend? 1 Farad or 2? Also, with the amp and cap, would I absolutely need a bigger alternator? I would just like to be able to sit at a stoplight with the subs hitting and not have the lights dim every time they hit. Thanks guys.
    -Harrison

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: Amp Question

Look into a class D amp if it's only going to powering you subs. I ended up getting a MMATS D200hc for fairly cheap. I see them on Ebay. MMATS is good, so is Soundstream, DD, and Orion, to name a few.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Arc audio, JL audio, Zapco are among the best if not the best brand amps out there. You don't need a 4 channel amp just for the subs unless you are planning on running your highs with it. If that is your plan, you won't get enough power out of it for both unless it is a huge amp. I hate MTX, Ithink their quality has gone way down like rockford fosgate, it wouldn't touch it.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Arc audio, JL audio, Zapco are among the best if not the best brand amps out there. You don't need a 4 channel amp just for the subs unless you are planning on running your highs with it. If that is your plan, you won't get enough power out of it for both unless it is a huge amp. I hate MTX, Ithink their quality has gone way down like rockford fosgate, it wouldn't touch it.

[/ QUOTE ] Fully agree about RF quality controle needing help. Didn't know MTX is also going to crap. Arc audio, JL audio, and Zapco are all very good, but I still think MMATS is the best in the bussiness for a deadicated subwoofer amp.

5. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. I have been looking at a few mmats amps on ebay, and they are reasonably priced. Thanks for the suggestions.
    -Harrison

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks guys. I have been looking at a few mmats amps on ebay, and they are reasonably priced. Thanks for the suggestions.
    -Harrison

[/ QUOTE ]Don't look just look into MMATS only, granted, they do make one hell of a amp. Look into (Class "D") amps. lots of good name brands too choose from. But yeah, I do like MMATS.

7. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Read the top.
    -Harrison