Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New at this, from the old school ...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dansblazer, Sep 17, 2004.

1. dansblazer

dansblazer Registered Member

Need Help, first a bit about me and my nightmare. Well I'm 20 anymore and I finally decided to restor a truck...I pick a 1981 Blazer trying to remenber the good old day...Any way I live in Ontario Canada and trucks are rusted big time anyway a lot of work has gone into the off frame restoration and I need help its been over 20 years since I drove my first blazer...I need to find the spare tire carrier that was mounted on the outside quater panel i need the complete assembly and also I just found out that the gears this truck has are 2:56 and I need to change them With my 383 strocker I plan on running 3:42 keep in mind that this is a daily driver. I have been told that these gear are garbage....I am going to view a dana44 and 14 bolt for the rear...with 3:42 will this fit a 81 blazer or what...I can go all night I have so many questions....anyway I hope that I get to know some yous' danpilon@rogers.com

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I need to find the spare tire carrier that was mounted on the outside quater panel i need the complete assembly

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never seen a stock outside carrier for K5's...pretty well every spare tire carrier I've seen is either aftermarket and part of the bumper, or the spare stands up behind the seat. The body mounted style suck, cracks the body and dents the tailgate.

[ QUOTE ]
    I just found out that the gears this truck has are 2:56 and I need to change them With my 383 strocker I plan on running

[/ QUOTE ]

More likely they are 2.73's...2.56's weren't available in our trucks. New gear choice depends on a lot of things, mostly tranny choice and max tire size.

[ QUOTE ]
    ....I am going to view a dana44 and 14 bolt for the rear...with 3:42 will this fit a 81 blazer or what

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much bolt in, although I think 3.42's are a total waste of time.

Rene

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

What size tires do you plan on, and what transmission ?? Need too know before can recomend gears.