Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Atlas 3 Vs. Klune V

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by denver75k5, Sep 12, 2003.

1. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

I've ben debating this for a while, Im running a TH350 , NP205 , 4:56's, with 40's ,,,, How low do I need to go in the x-fer case?
    The atlas 3 would give me 5:1 and twin stick.
    The klune would give me the choice of 2:1 , 4:1 , or 6:1
    but i would have to mod my 205 for twin stick...

Any input is welcome /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

The ORD Doubler / WMS 3.1 setup would also give you 2:1, 3:1 & 6:1

I don't know the prices of the options you listed... so I'm not sure which solution is most cost-effective.

3. denver75k5

[ QUOTE ]
    The ORD Doubler / WMS 3.1 setup would also give you 2:1, 3:1 & 6:1

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, havent heard of that one yet, but thats heavier than the klune or atlas isn't it?

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have been debating the same issue recently. I think that I am going to be going with the Klune V on my next truck build. I am going to get the 4:1 Klune and put it between an SM 420 or 465 and a NP 205. With 3.73 axle gears it breaks down into roughly 50:1 low, 100:1 klune low, and 200:1 double low. That should be enough gear for just about anything. I am going to have to twin stick the 205, but I don't see that as being a big problem. The other reason I like this setup is that with 3.73's and 38" tires 4th gear in the trans acts like an OD and you can downshift to 3rd for climbing hills on the highway.

5. denver75k5

WOW ! 200:1 you could pull my house off of the foundation!!

But that might cause a stopping issue /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Isn't the 4:1 Klune meant for lightweight vehicles? I've been looking at the 2.7:1 unit, but can't find pricing without calling someone. Have you gotten any prices on them yet? </font>

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

TJ,

It's just a classic ORD Doubler setup, but instead of the standard 2:1 (or so) gearset in the NP203......the 203 is reworked to accept a 3.1:1 ratio.

Not sure what the "weight" penalty is......I never spent much time pondering any of the Atlas or Klune solutions.

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The atlas 3 would give me 5:1

[/ QUOTE ]

5:1 would be great for the rocks.... but if you ever do anything else (sand) that requires some tire speed, you'd be S.O.L. .. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    The klune would give me the choice of 2:1 , 4:1 , or 6:1

[/ QUOTE ] The 4:1 Klune would give you 2:1, 4:1, or 8:1 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif....

As far as weights go, I remember hearing that the Atlas weighs 90 lb, I'm sure a 205 weighs 130 or so, and I think a Klune would be lighter than a 203 rangebox...

So... if $$ was no object, the best way to go would be a 2.72:1 or 4:1 Klune in front of a 3:1 Atlas. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif... but most of us have $$ limitations, so I think it's hard to beat Watson's Doubler ... and if you really need to - use the WMS 3:1 gearset in the 203.

Marv

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    but most of us have $$ limitations, so I think it's hard to beat Watson's Doubler ... and if you really need to - use the WMS 3:1 gearset in the 203.

Marv

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not a cheap prospect either, depending on the application. A doubler can be anywhere from $1100 to over $2000 depending on what options you want, then you're talking about an extra grand to get the WMS 3:1 gears for the 203. I'm not sure how much the Klune is, but I have to ASS-ume that it's somewhere in the $2000 neighborhood. The gearing reduction is better than a 2:1 doubler and nearly as good as a 3:1. Much better than a 3:1 doubler, if you go with the 4:1, but like I said before, I thought that the 4:1 was for jeeps and other lightweight stuff. Seems like a toss up moneywise to me, but I suppose that it kind of depends on how the truck is set up now and what parts you would need to go with the doubler.

10. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

TJ

Talk to Shawn...He has the WMS 3:1 gears in the 203 he is using for his doubler...I think the 3:1 gears were in the $1000 range, then the doubler...but then once you add in the price to acquire a 32-spline np205 and a 203, it getss kinda spendy...But as usual, shawn has gone overboard and will have a stupid low 4-low and a built 540ci....

All that aside, I have always been a Klune fan...IMO, modding the 205 for twin-stick is easy, and it is a perfect reason to rebuild it...

Chris

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

when and/or if I ever decide to change my t-case (have a 205 now) it'd prolly be for an atlas. The doubler is a great setup, but its also pretty damn heavy too. Some people are resigned to their K5s being heavy... but others (like me!) are trying to drop weight anywhere we can. Naturally tcases are pretty low in the rig, so its not really a cog problem, but still, Ive hefted around my 205 enough to know a full doubler is one heavy mo fo. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif just thought I'd mention it... no one seemed to note the weight factor...

j

12. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I really like the idea of having the option of a more reasonable low range that a doubler or Klune would give you. The Atlas is a great case, but the version with a 5:1 low seems like it would only have limited use.

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i agree. the 3.8:1 version would be (for me) just about right. Think there is a 4.3:1 as well if ya wanna be lower than a doubler.

j

14. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

Hety TJ Spickler has that setup in his garage collecting dust..... He should be able to help figure out what u need and $$$

15. Hossbaby50

Stopping would be easy. Press in the clutch and step on the brake. 200:1 would probably never really get used unless you were in something were you needed to be really technical or go threw really slowly. 100:1 would probably be the low that was used most in the rocks.

You could also just leave it in 200:1 and just shift up to 2nd gear and have approx. 90:1 low range and 200:1 low on tap at the shift of the stick.

16. denver75k5

Sweet! ,,, I just want to watch the weight issue, the ord thing is too heavy, and the atlas behind the klune is a little out of my price range ,,, hmmm delima , delima.,,

17. Hossbaby50

Dude, you got a 205 already. Get the right adapter for your 205 and run the 2:1, 4:1, 8:1. You get the 2:1 and the 4:1 that the doubler would give you plus the stupid low 8:1 and still save weight.

The also offer a 2 year warranty for the Klune against breakage. Plus this way you can tell me all the tricks and stuff I will need to know when I install a Klune &amp; 205 with the twin stick. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Well, I have been running the 3.8 Atlass for about 4.5 years now. When I did the swap , I got TONS of grief from people around here about the cost, blah, blah blah. It is one of the BEST things I did. MONEY WELL SPENT. I put it in behind my 700R4 and with my 5:13's and it has been flawless. I was not able to play in the sand but if I wanted to play in the sand I would by a "DUNE" buggy /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Next I decided to add the KLUNE V , GOLIATH behind the Atlass. Again, lots and lots of greif from folks around here. Do the doubler, doubler this doubler that. I spoke with folks about adding a 205 behind the Atlass, and no one including ALL the vendors on this site gave me any confident answers about the addition. Mr. Watson was the most helpful but I was not enthused about having the second tcase shifter behind me, nor did I like the thought of building an elaborate shifter set up that could cause me greif down the line.
    So I opted for the Klune, 2.7 to one behind my Atlass. Again, I LOVE IT. iy is simple, small, strong, lite and gives me some great options.

I see nothing wrong with going with the doubler, I know a number of folks running them with great success. I just wanted to let you know that I run the "other" and LOVE IT!!!

NASHU