Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New axles are in and did I get a deal. Just me bragging.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Okiemuddog, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

I got my new axles, D44/14Bff 4.56's W/ front and rear Detroits /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. Not only did I get a deal I got a smoking deal, I traded my my 10B/12B with 3.08's, my 33x12.50/15 thornturds, my cheap aluminum wheels and $200 for his axles, 33x12.50/16.5 off brand mud tires with good tread and chrome wagon wheels. going from 3.08's with 33' to 4.56' is like night and day. I love it, I can't wait to get some real wheeling in now. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Swapping axles between two vehicles is the most work I have had to do in a long time. Here is what I learned while doing my swap.

1. even if you are a cheap ass, listen to your friends and buy new u-bolts before you start, 2 trips to town, $37 and 4 custom bent u-bolts later, I have learned my lesson.

2. Just because the guy who owns the axles says he has everyhing you need, go to his house before you get there and figure out you will be laying in the dirt to do this swap.

3. Axle swaps are not like school studies, you can't pull an all nighter.

4. You would be surprised how high you can lift a /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif with an engine hoist hooked to the bumper.

5. Drop lights are mis-named, you drop them they quit working /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. A set of 12B u-bolts will fit a 14Bff, but by the time you get them spread far enough they won't fit the spring plate.

7. Four wheel parts idiots are just that IDIOTS and they don't stock U-bolts. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. 33's and 4.56's translate out to speedo 80 mph, actual speed 45 mph and one pissed wife that you left in the dust due to speedo being pegged./forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I am sure there is more but I have slept 3 hours out of the last 48.

So did I get a deal or the big green willy?

2. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

You beat my deal because you have lockers...i bought an 81 up K5 rolling tub from a guy on ebay for a dollar...265 miles each way to pick it up...lunch and some beer in idaho springs for the helper...and for my $1 i recieveed a 81 up K5 rolling tub with a 2 year old set of axles in the 4.56 flavor....rear open 14B FF...front 10B w/3/4 stuff minus calipers...the carpet in the tub was fairly new and was cleaned of dog hair and installed into my 79...plus there was an 81 up cowl induction hood int he back also...all for a dollar...no copyright infringements towards grimy's coined "dollar"....lol. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Ya, you got a heck of a deal....good job man!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

thats cool krenan. when you bringing it down?

5. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

Good deal Krennan. Thanks again for the gears. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Thanks for sharrin your experiance. And good call on the drop light issue. I was wanderin about that myself. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

And I thought my deal was good. I paid $650 for a 14 bolt with a detroit and 4.88's and a 3/4 ton 10 bolt with 4.88's and an open diff. Everything up front was new and everything except for a bad axle seal (that ate the new brakes) was new in the rear. I'm still a happy camper though cuz I got 4.88's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Which are the perfect gearing for my 36" swampers /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    4. You would be surprised how high you can lift a with an engine hoist hooked to the bumper.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I'm thinking I might try that in addition to jack stands. I dont have a floor lift that will go over 19". Where did you attach the hoist and how? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif