Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New AZ resident...

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by bowtiepower00, Aug 16, 2006.

1. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

I Just Moved to Phoenix from Guam and plan on being out here a while so I renewed my membership. I'd really like to get in on some wheeling out here, but it's probably going to be a month or two before I get a rig, and probably longer still before it's trail capable. I'm in the process of looking for a suitable DD/trail rig project. I'd like it to be a Blazer or Regular Cab Truck, but I'd consider something bigger if it was the right deal. I want something that runs and drives decent and that has a good (meaning rust free, I don't mind small dents and scratches) body on it that can get me around without breaking down all of the time. I am capable of fixing anything that may go wrong, but I live in an apartment and don't want to wrench in a parking lot. I'd prefer something that is emissions exempt. I've done my share of wheeling, spotting, etc., and would like to ride along on some runs if anyone has any room. I'd like to get an Idea of what it's like to wheel out here before I start building my rig. I also wouldn't mind jumping in on some wrenching sessions if anyone needs an extra hand. Thanks...

Nolan

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The "cool" guys don't wheel until its "cool" outside LOL . But look for runs in regional members soon . Welcome home :thumb:

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Welcome to AZ. I currently don't live there but I used to and will probably be again in the future. I have wheeled with alot of the guys from AZ and they are a good group of guys. There will be alot of runs starting once the weather gets a little cooler. I am sure they will be some Moab shackdown runs and stuff coming up in the next month or two along with some possible night runs and such.

If you havn't read about it there is an annual run to Parker AZ every Thanksgiving. It is about a 3 hour drive to get there but the run is always a damn good time. The wheeling is alot of rockcrawling with body damage likely but if you have a cleaner truck it can do some of the trails. There is also alot of dirt hills and stuff for dirt bikes, quads, etc.

Harley

4. bowtiepower00

The heat isn't too bad, I'm used to thick tropical air that's so humid you can just about cut it with a knife. Think Hawaii at sea level but with more heat and humidity.
    After looking through the ADEQ site http://www.azdeq.gov/environ/air/vei/index.html it appears that anything built after 1967 has to go through the sniffer. Is this correct? This emissions stuff is new to me, I just want to avoid a PITA when I go to register my new (used) vehicle. The website also states that a 25 yo vehicle exemption should be in place by early 2007 (waiting on the EPA). Does anyone know if this is still going to happen? At any rate, thanks again...

Nolan

5. pauly383

No hood pop for 67-74 , just sniffer . Just basic visual until the injected era . Last year my 83's printout didn't even show the egr and a.i.r anymore , they just said pass on the gas cap and sniffer .

Most trucks which run well , with a tuneup and oil change , that look about right underhood , will pass .......................................................................................................Unless your 4xcrazy , but thats Murphy's law :wink1:

6. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

there real big on the gass cap thing. They failed a bran new one, i showed them the reciept and they passed me :D

7. Hossbaby50

Pretty much anything you will buy will go on the sniffer. Try and find a truck that was pre cats (78 ish) I believe. It makes it easier to pass smog. If you swap in a good FI motor it should pass with flying colors. When I FI'ed my 85 I actually got a 2 year pass instead of one year like I had been getting prior.

My 73 Jeep only gets the tailpipe test and also the gas cap test. Makes emissions super easy. Do a tuneup buy a new gascap and bang your done. My Jeep passes emissions every year with no issues and it burns 1 quart of straight 30w oil a week. As long as I tune it up before it goes in it is all good.

Harley

8. Hossbaby50

P.S. They are serious about the gas cap test. You could pass every other test and not the gas cap pressure test and you FAIL and have to go threw the WHOLE testing process again including sitting in the rediculously long lines.

Harley

9. VikingWarlord

VikingWarlord 1/2 ton status

You guys make me glad I live in Flagstaff :D Az, but without 115 degree summers and NO emissions tests up here:eek1: . I know a few peoples who keep their vehicle stuff sent to a friend/family member up here at 7000ft but live and drive in PHX.

10. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Welcome,

Paul and Harley are right, we really try to stay out of the %$king heat during the summer, mostly pool parties at my house and such.

We have been talking about heading north for some weekends, to camp and hang out and stay cool. So far this summer has been pretty busy for most of us. I think Matt AZK5 has done a night run or two with Harley, but overall it's duck and cover. Just way too hot on the desert floor right now.

Harley just about summed it up. There is some great wheeling to be had in AZ and we are working on having some of the fun. We do some great trips, and weekend trip, along with some longer ones towards the holidays. Trip to Parker in November for Thanksgiving is in my opinion one of the best times all year. The wheeling in Parker is smoking!!!! And we generally just have a great time together. We also sometime between christmas and Newyear usually hit the Superior area for a week of camping and wheeling, it's pretty fun and the weather is awesome, cold at night and great campfire weather.

We have found some great trails in the superior area, and are looking forward to hitting it once the weather is better.

If you want to hit some of the trails as a ride along, don't be shy, we always post up where we are heading to on this forum, and there are always plenty of extra seats. I suggest that you ride along with us first before you decied how to build up your rig. We have all been down that road and you may want to see how and what we wheel in before you head down the, "I have to have a trail worthy rig to wheel". I'm just saying, hand out and see how we beat the snot out of our stuff and see if your still intrested. Most of us with the exception of one or two still wheel on 1/2 ton stuff.

Welcome and good luck.

Rob

11. bowtiepower00

Thanks for the responses. I'll keep my eyes open for any run postings. Most of my offroad experience consists of mild-moderate trail riding over a variety of terrain, in mildly built trucks. Now that I'm in the center of the wheeling universe I plan on building up a Blazer to tackle some rougher stuff, but It'll probably be 6 months+ before I have a rig I'll be ready to wheel. I don't believe that 1-tons are the answer, but at the same time, I don't want to hold up anyone I'm wheeling with or worry about breaking down on the trail unnecessarily. Thanks again...

12. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

You're viewing the ramblings of the same boy that you are now. We (currently, hopefully for not much longer) run open differentials front and rear with a little four inch lift and 33's. You would probably be amazed the places we've taken her to and back out of. Continually amazes me anyway.

Take it slow, plan your moves and above all have fun.

Upshot is you don't have to have a BUILT rig to come out and have a good time.

13. bowtiepower00

Another smog question...

I've been looking at 1-tons as well. If I were to get a 87-91 V20 or 30 with TBI, is the test going to be the same as a smaller truck? Will they pop the hood or just sniff? Are they going to want to see AIR? (even if there are no traces of it's former existance?) What about headers, etc., assuming there are properly functioning cats and everything is running well (and looking relatively stock), are they going to hassle me? Does it matter, SBC or BBC (assuming the engine is the original?) Would buying a truck out of state and bringing it to AZ give me headaches? (assuming it is in original, sound mechanical condition.) Sorry for all the Q's, this emissions **** worries me. I suppose if I really needed to I could register the truck out of state, I know that's a no-no, but it appears to be pretty common down here. Thanks again...

14. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Welp, if you bring a truck in from out of state it has to have the basic safety inspection. Pretty much do the lights work, the brakes, the windshield wipers? Crap like that.

Every time I have to emission Wimpy I think about getting a P.O. Box up in Pine where my parents have a cabin. Although as long as I tune her up pretty good she passes with flying colors and she's carbuerated.

15. pauly383

Almost every small block tbi truck I have seen had no smog pump , they passed without it in the 48 state trucks . 4xcrazy has a small block tbi truck and has regular old manifolds from the factory :thumb:

16. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

and NO smog pump,,,:D

17. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

a smog pump os only 50-60 bucks.. no biggy if you have to run one..