Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Baby!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bobalob, Nov 15, 2005.

1. bobalob

bobalob 1/2 ton status

Only about a week out of pouch. one pic of her and other of her sister(Theo) mom(Bob) and dad(Steve) peeking out. Problem is that I have to sell her because I already have Bob and Steve living with me and Bill and Theo with my girlfriend. I sold their previous baby(Chicken) and was intending to sell this one to same person as companion but the new owner sucks in my opinion and I don't want to compound the problem. So I am going to list her in the paper to be on solid food and ready to leave mom by Christmas and hope that a good family buys her :( .

bobble 004.jpg

bobble 007.jpg

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Cute, but I'm an idiot, what is it?

3. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think its a sugar glider.......but Im not sure

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

mom(Bob) - so i guess you cant tell the sex until their pregnant huh? haha

5. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Yep...My wife and kids want one of those so bad

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

sugar gliders are great pets. just have to keep the stress down. fun critters though.
    Grant

7. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I almost picked up a free one... Decided it was too much work... SO I got a dog, at least he takes care of himself with a few exceptions :D

He bit me in the face last night... My fault, but damn it hurt...

That's all I have to say...

8. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha:

9. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

been bit in the face by my dogs in the past. i like to wrestle with all of them. when they are young they screwup. :laugh: :laugh: i;ve found that after 2 years they settle down. man those things are cool looking.i remember when my son had a hamster named daisey.well dust decided to show MILO (my best friend).RIP. anyway milochops just grabbed daisy outta dusts hand.all i heard was "DAISY" and i knew what happened. i yelled from the kitchen"DROP IT MILO". and he did. :D such a good boy.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  10. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

I have 2 Sugar Gliders left right now.... brothers in fact... the parents for some reason or another were eaten by the remaining gliders... The two brothers don't come out of their pouch much anymore... I seriously think they are severely depressed that they killed their parents. I wish I could get them to trust me... they see me every day, and still freeze when I walk into the room. I mean FREEZE... they will be playing or eating, I walk in, and they don't move again until I leave. When I first got the breeding pair, they'd play with me, I let them roam the room for a few hours a day... now I can't even pet them. I wish I had bonded with them more when they were babies... I suppose it really isn't "too late" now as they are about a year old each... but its a hastle...

I am offering them to anyone here who wants them for $100 each and you get the cage for free... it's a custom built 36x30x48 rubber coated wire cage that seriously needs to be in a bigger house with someone who has the time and energy to play with a couple of kids at 2am every day of the week. I wish I didn't have to get rid of them, but I prefer my maintenance free reptiles who just care that I come in to feed them every day.

11. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

seperate them. should take care of most of your problems. then also spend time with them on a one on one basis with them not being able to see each other.
    Grant

12. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

That wouldn't do much... I actually went directly to visit them after my last message here. I played with them for a good hour trying to get them into their new pouch. I made 4 identical pouches for them, so when one gets stinky or torn up, I can just replace it. They ran around on my shoulders and arms (**** those claws hurt) for a long time before I finally coaxed them into the clean pouch. Anyway, they are brothers and they would be far more depressed if they were separated. They should live in family group of up to 7 members... but anyway... I'll figure it out. I kinda miss playing with them, but I don't miss the sharp nails - that's for SURE...

13. bobalob

bobalob 1/2 ton status

If you seperate them more than likely they will both die unless you could spend 4-6 hours a day with them even then it would be 50-50. they are extremely social and need companionship(you or other glider). Also they get up at night so you usually have to spend your evenings with them. Bonding can take a long time of constant contact, my second glider(Steve) was full grown when I got him and while my original one(Bob) was twice as friendly after getting buddy but it was a good 6 months before he stopped biting me. They are definately a commitment(12-15 year life span) but when properly bonded are worth it.

Problem is selling and buying them.

You never want to buy from a glider farm. I'm no PETA freak but they are generally disgusting places producing diseased, unsocialized, inbred animals that they tell you have clean bill of health and were hand raised :mad: . And anybody who will ship gliders is crazy, way to much stress(they are prone to a permanent back leg paralysis brought on by diet and stress).

People like me are the best to buy from :D (just a couple of well bonded gliders and baby handled and socialized from day one) but finding a private local owner willing to sell is tricky.

With selling them I can't help but feel responsible for baby that I helped raise so finding prospective buyer that I feel is capable and has researched glider care is important. Best place is a family environment with more than one person to interact with and then responsibilities and commitment can be spread out :D .

And yes I knew Bob was a girl but I like the name, new baby girl is named Mitch and her sister is Theodore, I am conducting a socialogical experiment into using gender mis-identification to produce a super race of burly, butch, lesbian sugar gliders :haha: .

bobble 016.jpg

14. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

Those things are adorable. I feel gay saying it... but they are. I used to have a hedgehog... she was nocternal and pretty shy till she got a bit more social. She was a pretty cute little critter.

15. bobalob

bobalob 1/2 ton status

I know what you mean. I get some funny looks when i talk about my lil cuties :o