Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Ball Joint replacement Question(page 2)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78 k5, Jun 10, 2005.

1. 78 k5

78 k5 1/2 ton status

I recently did an 8 lug conversion on my Burb and everything was grand until I went wheelin a couple of days ago. After bouncing around in some dry ruts I had a brake caliper lock up on me. I replaced the caliper and all was good. Took the truck back in town and hosed off the undercarrige. As soon as I got back on the road at around 25mph the front end starts jumping off the ground side to side.
    I've taken the hub assemblies off, checked the barrings and re-torqued the lock nuts to specs. The thing is still trying to jump off the road :confused: Its not pulling to one side, just jumping up and down and when I look at the tires they look like they are about to fall off. lugs are tight. WTF is going on? Any ideas?

Sorry so long :D

Last edited: Jun 14, 2005
  2. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Are your lug holes oval shaped after going wheeling? Jack up the truck and check for play horizontal and vertical... check to see if your steering box is broken/cracked, and there is a post here on how to do everything that I just said and more... someone will post the link to it...

3. 78 k5

78 k5 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I'll check...anyone else?

4. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

before you take the wheels off, jack it up and see if you can move the tire/wheel up and down and side to side. Have a buddy do this while you watch what moves. Could be the ball joints are bad. If they are the brake calliper will move wit the tire/wheel. If the brake calliper doesn't move, then you might have a bearing or knuckle problem.

Hope you get it fixed and back on the trail :D

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Mine did that after I converted to 8 lug and put the big tires on. ( did it all at one time) Dual stabilizers fixed it because I'd replaced all steering and ball joints less than a month before the swap. Glides along now..

6. 78 k5

78 k5 1/2 ton status

dual stabilizers huh? I'll try the ball joint test....Thanks for the help guys...I'll post whatever I figure out :D

7. 78 k5

78 k5 1/2 ton status

Its the drivers side ball-joint. Do i have to have a balljoint press or can I just use a big C-clamp? Also a very unrelated question but...with an overfilled transfercase (NP241) cause any major problems?
    Thanks in advance

8. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Save yourself the headache and rent the press.

I really doubt YOU overfilled your 241. If the seals are bad between the trans and t-case, ATF may flow out of the trans and into the t-case, but even then, it will leak out at the rear output seal.

Rob

9. 78 k5

78 k5 1/2 ton status

thats what I'm talking about....will I run into any problems with the tcase being filled because of the bad seal or can I run it for a while?

10. 89GMCSuburban

Really would only create a problem in 4x4 cause that's the only time the chain moves. You can but the press and use it for u-joints too at harbor freight for $25. Worthwhile if you're only doing one balljoint, 'cause you'll eventually be doing the other ones.

11. 78 k5

78 k5 1/2 ton status

Thanks. I've started taking the hub assembly off. I'll post again WHEN i run into a problem :D

12. 78 k5

78 k5 1/2 ton status

Okay...I've got everything off and can't get the knuckle off the inner C. I took the nuts off the top and bottom ball joints and I've been pounding away at the top of the ball joints and she won't budge. I soaked it in PB over night and still nothing... Any pointers?

13. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

they are tapered like the tierod ends and draglink ends. the easiest way is to take 2 pickle forks and use one on the top and one on the bottom. usually i can only find 1, use it on the bottom one and tap the top one on the stud, it will fall right out.

14. 89GMCSuburban

I had to heat mine with a torch and use an air chisel with a pickle fork attachment for about 2 hours after soaking in PB for 3 hours to get mine off. BTW, you did take the snap ring off the lower ball joint, right? There's one on the bottom of the joint...

15. 78 k5

78 k5 1/2 ton status

I Beat the Sh*t out of it some more and I came off. Thanks for the help though :D

16. 78 k5

78 k5 1/2 ton status

My Lower ball joint is spinning with the nut...how do I stop this so I can torque it down?

17. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

put a jack underneath it and put some weight back on the knuckle, should be enough to stop it from spinning :)

18. 78 k5

78 k5 1/2 ton status

got it...thanks