Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Ball Joint Zerk fitting contacts Axle Shaft

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 83k5blzrbob, Dec 15, 2006.

1. 83k5blzrbob

83k5blzrbob Registered Member

Anybody ever run into this.....I installed new greasable upper and lower ball joints on my 83 K5, and when I spin the axle shaft it slightly contacts the end of the zerk fitting on the upper ball joint.

Any ideas for a solution, should I remove the zerk after greasing and then plug the hole till next grease job?

Appreciate any ideas........

2. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you replaced them with the wrong size (too long) see if your local auto parts store has the right ones for you? :dunno:

3. 83k5blzrbob

83k5blzrbob Registered Member

Thanks for the reply, I assume that you refering to the wrong size zerk and not the wrong size ball joint........with that said, I think the zerk couldn't be any shorter or the gun wouldn't attach.

Any other ideas? Are most replacement ball joints greasable?

4. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

Most replacement ball joints are greasable; however the bottom one you can leave the zerk in, only to be broken off by a rock, and the upper on will be brocken off by the axle shaft. Grease them well, and remove the zerks and replace the little plugs that came with the ball joints.
    Next time you do brakes/wheel bearings, it would be wise to take the spindle off to inspect the spindle bearing, and grease the ball joints again.
    Jimbo

5. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I had the same problem. Next time get Moog balljoints since they have the grease fittings in a different place so you can grease them without plugging the hole after.

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Go to your local parts store and buy some "recessed" fittings. You'll also need a grease needle to use them. I have them on my front axle u-joints and they work like a charm.