Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New BFG Mud tire?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ned Kelly, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I heard that BFG is coming out with a new mud tire somewhat based on the Krawler carcass. It's supposed to have tough side walls like the Krawler, an aggressive tread, and be priced like a normal offroad tire (unlike the Krawler which is premium priced). Any heard or seen anything about this? Sizes?

2. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I've heard they are switching the design to be more like the crawler too. If you look in the 4WP cataloge they list a mud terrain tire and it looks almost identical to the crawler. I hope it's just another option for the Mud Terrain. I love the current design and wouldn't want the crawler style for a daily driver

3. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

here's the add from the current offroad adventrues. it's poor quality but I had to take a picture I couldn't find it online.

[​IMG]

4. Ned Kelly

MountainMan,
    Thanks for posting the pic. Now I can see what it looks like. Hmmm......I kinda thought it would be more aggressive looking. It will be interesting to see how street friendly (especially for longevity wear factor - Krawler is very fast wearing on the street from what I've read) they are and how they perform off road.

5. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I really don't like the new design. I've heard them building up the sidewalls and side lugs like you said but I think the current side lugs look better than the new. My whole feeling is if I wanted Krawlers I would have bought Krawlers.

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Yes, that is the new pattern for the MT's for larger size wheels. We had a set of them for 22" wheels for a show last March. I'll see if I can dig up some pics of them. They were big and heavy. Last word from BFG is that they were ONLY for the large size wheels (20"+) and everything less will stay the way they are. IIRC, the smallest they make works out to a 40" tire.

7. Ned Kelly

Actually kinda reminds me of a Geolander tire.

8. jamber2541

jamber2541 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]heres a better picture

9. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Better sidewalls are a definite improvement. I don't like how easy it is to slice 3" long holes in the sidewalls of BFG Muds.

10. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

It would be cool if they offered it with the older style aswell. That way you could try the new one, and still have the older style to fall back on. And if you think about it, it might just lower the old styles pricing.