Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Blazer Owner

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by IGOR, May 16, 2000.

1. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have several questions -

First, how can I put a bikini top on my 72 K5 without drilling any holes in the body?

Second, does anyone have any suggestions on how to maintain the stock interior, (center console) while also having a nice stereo system SECURE with the top off - I was thinking Tuffy security products, but would like to have something that fit in the stock console...?

Third - I know I saw some posts about a pulley top removal system - how far back are those posts?

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Go to the tech section of the main board and you'll find the pulley system article. The words "secure" and "topless" don't go together. I would get the Tuffy console and pray that nobody jacks your speakers. It would also be in your best interest to hide some sort of fuel cutoff or battery switch in the locking part of the console, a few jeep guys i know do this and it has saved some of them before. Where did you find a bikini top? You probably will have to drill holes for snaps on the windsheild frame, but it's only a few, so it's no big deal</font color=blue>

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Welcome to the first gen owners club!!
    this is one of the best source sites you will ever find on the net!! Also you will want to check out http://www.blazer-net.com this is a deticated site to first gen K5s!!
    as mentioned above your best bet may be to toss the stock box and gofer the tuffy!! Kinda expensive but I have one and love it! You can even get the type that allows you to mount your stero in it or CB raido!
    Bikini top? You have one? I haven't never seen one for our rigs unless it was homemade! Goahead and drill the holes then at the end of summer or when the hard top goes back on give each hole a squirt of primer paint and you could even put a dab of silicon oin each hole and that would prevent any type of rusting!!
    Welcome and Good Luck

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I think I JUST saw an article in Peterson's Off Road magazine for top removal rigs for under 50 bucks. not sure if it was that exact mag but it was a 4x4 mag. I use my kids for taking my top off.

Jim

5. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Bikini Tops for 72s

I know I've seen first-gen K5s with Bikini/soft tops, and I would like to get one for mine - preferably a bikini top - I'm pretty sure I heard that a Jeep top would work easily - is this true?

I'd prefer to not drill holes in my truck's body - it's pretty original... (FUTURE TRAILER QUEEN???)

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Re: Bikini Tops for 72s

Hmm from what I have heard they are too small!!??
    I did see a bikini top once and the guy said he had it made buy a convertable top type shop!
    I have the full soft top from Kyline and was thinking of copying the front snap pattern and use it as a template then by a pice of vynal and go to work! Orchard Supply Harware sells snaps and snap install kits.
    Just a thought!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin