Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Body

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by getitup, Feb 29, 2004.

1. getitup

getitup Registered Member

Hey everyone. Its been a while since I have been on but I am here to ask for some info. I have a 75 Jimmy that the body is about to fall off of if I take it wheeling one more time. I have found a nice straight 79 Chevy shortbed body for $300.00 and I am going to swap it over this weekend. How many of you have done this swap and what problems will I run into? It seems pretty simple except for the picking up of the bodies, but John Deere is pretty strong. I know that I have to shorten the bed about 11 or 12 inches but what else am I looking forward to. Thanks for any help.

2. getitup

Just got some pics of my truck on imagestaion so here they are. The one on the trailer is they day I brought it home. I will post some pics when I get the cab on.
    www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287612569

3. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

There was a post about this not two weeks ago, I can't remember who's it was. I'll see if I can find it. I know the backyardbuilt has done it and I think that cybrfire has also. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

4. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Since your frame is a 75, it should be a bolt on as far as the cab goes. An youll probably have to do a bit of work to make mounts for the box, but nothing serious.

5. Stomper

6. Stomper

Here is the one I was thinking of Clicky

7. getitup

Thanks for the help. I am going to have to drive it around without a bed for awhile because I have to get it shortend and come up with a way to mount it but my stepdad is a bodyman and I am a mechanic so we should be able to get it done. I cant wait to do it because I know it will look great when I get it finished. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Custom flat bed it. It's kewl to do!

9. getitup

Well I just wanted to let everyone know that the new body went on without a single problem. Everything went great and it looks great even without a bed but I shouldnt have to wait that long to get that done. Thanks again for the help and I will post some pics as soon as I get them back.