Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Bracket post, tons of pics, 52" front springs 1" lower in front

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Jul 13, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

New Bracket post, tons of pics, 52\" front springs 1\" lower in front

Just like the title says I lowered the front mount 1" to help with pinion angle. I made all new brackets for the front ( first part of project here ). The brackets are bolted on and holding the front of the springs up. I need to drill the holes out to 9/16" in the front and buy some steel for shackles since the piece of 3/8" I have is to small to make all 4 shackles. I still need to do some bracing on the sides, once the bumper goes back on the front I'll have to brace the outside edges back to the outer bracket so it will be all tied back together. The 5" on the front of the brackets will be totally welded to the front 6x2" tube. To help hold the outside brackets in place I used the angle and welded around it and the angle bolts to the body mount cup. Then I'm going drill another 1/2" hole on the outside bracket in the center and use a 1/2" sleeve and use another 5" - 1/2" bolt (right above the front spring bolt up 4"). BUT, its almost ready for the front springs to go in and the front axle and tires!!!!! After that I'm planning a new engine crossmember since I'll have to go to crossover sometime. Once all the frame mods including bracing the steering box is done, I'll start tearing the front clip off the project blazer get the motor pulled cleaned up and transfer it and the tranny into the frame and start making some flat crossmembers. I need to sell some more stuff and buy the $55 clocking ring and the $49 14bolt disk brake brackets off ebay. Also I waiting on ORD to quote me a price on the new 1/2" upper frame bushings with the sleeves (no bolts), so I know how much cash I need to scrape together.

ON TO THE PICS!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll post up again once its all done sitting on the axle /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. jjlaughner

Re: New Bracket post, tons of pics, 52\" front springs 1\" lower in front

For some reason the brackets look crooked in a couple of the pics but they are square and within 1/8" top to bottom on width /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Woah that looks really good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Dude, thats a bolt on, you should market it. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

i was going to mention them being crooked and was wondering if that would screw up the ride. hope it works out and i wish i could weld like that!!!!

6. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Dude, thats a bolt on, you should market it. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What years did the frames change in the front to where they used different bumpers? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    This setup would fit what like an 81-up. Looking back at it I have figured out several ways to save alot of time, cutting and cleaning the edges. If I had a plasma cutter and a little heavier welder to where I could blast through 1/4" faster that would be an idea. I have about $40 in steel and hardware, plus about 6 (solid) hours in cutting and grinding and drilling. If I had a plasma machine like DIY the holes and round edges would be cake.

Here's my rear diff cover from DIY, I got some steel (on the right) I need to cut and weld in.
    [​IMG]

I'm going to use 3/8" on bottom because thats what I have, then I'll trim some of my left over 1/4" for the top and side sections.

7. jjlaughner

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

still need to make the longer shackles and put my upper frame mounts back in. I just used the old shackles and bolts and hung the spring from the new hole (it was starting to rain I was going to use a bungie cord and hook it up at 7.25" to see). Looks like the springs will sit about level. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

how soon ya planning on doing the motor? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. jjlaughner

as soon as this thing is on all fours

10. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Just as long as the secret weapon is there /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

11. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yea you should deffinetly sell those. looks good /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

the DIY4X dif cover you have is laser cut IIRC.

12. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

I'm interested in seeing how your shackle angle turns out. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif looks very good /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif i like the design

13. jjlaughner

[​IMG]

Here's with no weight on the front
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still need to triangulate this
    [​IMG]

custom engine crossmember
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]