Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New brake booster gremlins

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thezentree, Jun 16, 2005.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

See update at bottom..

Yea, so my brake booster decided to die on me today as I'm coming home to get ready to go to a party. Blew my paycheck on a new booster, and come to find out, to get the thing off the firewall, you have to tear the dash apart and disassemble the steering column to get at the 4 nuts that hold the booster to the firewall. I have no idea how to get the steering column apart, and luckily, Haynes doesn't either. Help real quick?!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2005
  2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

you can reach up underneath????

your back will be killing you but should be able too.

to pull the colum APART you have to pull the wheel and tear it apart, to drop it there should be a bracit ataching the cullom to the dash.

oh zenROCK you will see grasshopper:D:D:D

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

5 gallon jug of gas, and a match :grin:

4. thezentree

I'm talking about going under the dash. The steering shaft goes through the firewall just under the booster, and is mounted to a bracket that's mounted to a bracket that's part of the firewall. I need to get those brackets outta the way so I can get to the booster stud nuts.

Edit: Chris, you're an asshole.

5. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

and you can reach them with the dash/collum inplace?

6. thezentree

Nope, there's about 3lbs of 1/4" plate in my way. It would be wonderful if my Haynes manual covered steering columns.

7. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

ok i am trying to think of the STUPIDEST way to build a truck , so a would recomend pulling every thing you can put a wench,sockit, screwdriver or torch on, ans undo it, from you distributer to you frone seat belt, ONLY then will you be able to get it off

8. thezentree

That sounds about like it. I found out my buddy's dad has a torch, I bet it would work beautifully on the gas tank.

9. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

just leave enuff in it to slosh around, remember that gas fumes @14%air mix are AS EXPLOSIVE as tnt, so the more room for fumes than fuel the better, then maybe you can buy a BIG square truck, you know a real one lol

dont feel bad my burb has been sitting for a month because i just havent had the time to fix the hard line for the brakes at least work is real close!!:crazy:

10. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

remember your 97 has a drivers airbag when messing around with teh column...

11. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I did one on a 96 by dropping the column from under the dash (lowered about 3-4"). It was tight, but with a combonation of a long extension and various other socket and extensions I got all the bolts out and back in.

12. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Odd.. I replaced my hydroboost in my 92 just from underneath without any major headache...

13. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I replaced my hydroboost on my 96 by just reaching up underneath. Reached up and popped the E clip off the brake pedal linkage and removed the 4 nuts and it was out. It was hard but not that bad.

14. thezentree

I finally got that stupid booster in and sorta working. The brakes work beautifully up until I let go of the pedal. When I take my foot off the pedal, the pedal is slow to respond and return to the "off" position, and the brakes are still engaged. A hard stop will keep the brakes engaged for a second or two after I take my foot off the pedal. Does the new booster need to be adjusted? WTF is going on here? I've got to be at work in 7 hours, and after that, have a mud race to attend (no, I'm not running the Yukon in it), so I need brakes. Thanks for the help so far, keep it coming.

15. thezentree

Back to top. Help me guys, I need my truck.

16. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

uh only two idea come to mind.

ONE is that the brakes are not blead proberly, but you dont need to pull the lines to pull the booster so....

TWo is the one way restricor, and filter or what ever the other thing is in the vac line on the booster

17. thezentree

After messing with the truck, it seems like the booster isn't letting the pedal return fast enough. It's like the booster has enough drag on the return stroke that it slows the pedal down as it extends, and therefore keeps the brakes engaged. I tried pulling the pedal back out while it's still stuck, and there's a lot resistance, so there's obviously not a lack of a return spring of some sort.

On a side note, the master cylinder has a little bit of a leak around the reservoir. It's not dripping or spewing, but it is a little wet where the cylinder and reservoir meet. Also, the booster looks like it's leaking a little bit around the check valve as well. Could either of these be causing this problem? Or might the booster itself be faulty?

Darkshadow, the brakes have been bled twice for good measure. I guess the restrictor you're talking about is the check valve? The new booster came with a new check valve, but maybe it's faulty. Who knows, I'm just ready to be able to drive myself places again and not have to bum rides.

18. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

the boosters leaking????? Im confused by that. You sure your master cylinder didnt just take a major crap and fill up the booster with brake fluid? If its leaking between where the booster and master cyl bolt together, then the master cyl is bad.

19. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

after running the truck and useing the brakes pull the restrictor,( yeah check valve one one valve same thing) and listen for air sucking in/out. if not then bad.

and like k20 said, the mc might be bad, pull it and see if it dumped in the booster, i think the fluid will ruin the diaphram, in the boster then your sol.

the retoun spring in the system is in the mc, maybe pull it and bench blead it as see how hard it is to push and how much springback it has.

it is farly tough to push, but thats an 80s 3/4 tom, i am not sure on yours though..

20. thezentree

There's no leakage where the MC meets booster. It's nice and dry there. The leaks are at the check valve and where the reservoir on the MC meets the MC.

I'm gonna burn the **** down if the MC is bad too.