Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Brake Lines :)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Dec 2, 2000.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Got my new stainless steel brake lines from pro comp and put the puppies on ... I love them... They work great with a 4 inch lift... Dont need the ugly brackets now... Well worth the 110 bucks!!! They look sharp too...

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

2. mich89k5

mich89k5 Registered Member

Did(can)you buy them direct from Pro Comp? If not, where did you get them? How quick were they about shipping them. Can you feel any difference as far as the braking response. I'm not totally sold on the idea that it will make that much of a difference over new rubber hoses. What do you think?

Mich89k5

3. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

I assume that if I go from stock to 6" lift I'm gonna have to extend my brake lines. Am I correct? Whats the economical way to do this? 100 clams is a little much for me right now. Thanks.

4. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I just put the ProComp lines on my '73 about a month ago. It was a bit of a chore, esp on the passenger side front. The newer k5s may be different, but it was a pain to get the nut from the stock brake line inside the framewell to come off. Also, I had to come up with two large washers to prevent the front lines from moving around where they pass through the frame. Luckily I had a couple extra from my old front stabilizer I took off. The rear was easy except a stubborn stock brake line fitting. I was surprised at how much smaller in overal diameter they were over stock. The stock lines must have a very thick rubber covering over them. Oh yeah, on the front where the line attaches to the caliper, the contection wasn't near as stable. The stock had two ears that lock in on the caliper and keep the line from twisting and losening. The ProComps didn't have these. Overall, the fit wasn't what I expected and I didn't notice any difference in braking. If I did it again I would get the longer factory lines to avoid the fitment problems.

Fencepost eater