Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New build

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zopaintball, Sep 11, 2005.

1. zopaintball

zopaintball Newbie

Hello all,

I am new to building an actual funtional insteaad of for show 4x4 I have a new vehicle and want it mainly to be for mudding some very few rock outings (That would more be like trail riding type stuff.

The 4x4 is A 1982 K5 blazer It has a 350 newly rebuilt and new 350 transmission it has no lift of any kind has 33" tires right now everything else is pretty much stock. I would like to run 35'' (To me I think I could do this with just fender cutting ?) I want a winch, replace the shocks(they look aged) The truck drives find no running away or anything but the breaks pull to right, am going to get them looked at. I would like new more reliable guages, Thats everything I can think of I want to replace now what do you guys suggest to be put on it? I would not like to change anything major unless it breaks or I see the need, so please explane why I need what you suggest. I will get some pics of the rig up and show progress should be interesting.

Use of truck mainly mudding some trail use. Its not a daily driver but is needed for weekend street use.

Here are some pictures of what I am starting with i have some just and bad repair of rust but am fixing that in the next couple days.

ZO

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry bout the size
    Thanks ZO

2. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

dont bother with the brakes....most of the people here have rigs that pull to the right...most dealers wont even look at it. for mudding, i would say some sort of lift to keep your rig from beeing a bull dozer and not getting far. you dont want to be down in the mud, you want to keep as much of the body out of the mud...it will slow you down alot.

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I must TOTALLY disagree with that. You must not overlook one of the most important safety issues.

If it does anything besides go straight, there is either something wrong with steering, brakes, or suspension. Most likely it is a collapsed brake line or a hanging caliper, but don't just ignore it!

4. zopaintball

zopaintball Newbie

I will be getting them looked at but what are some the most needed to the least needed things I should get for the build?

ZO

5. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

I would just replace the left side caliper and when you do the lift replace the lines. A 6" would prolly be best to keep you high and dry in the mud. For the winch your gonna need a new bumper so look around here and you'll be able to find one. ORD could hook you up with just about all you need.

6. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

If you're heavy on the throttle you might want to consider dumping your stock 10B rear for a 14BSF or better yet a 14BFF, but most people will probably say you're alright up to 35's with a 10B. Also, 6" lift will probably mean you'd need a lengthened driveshaft, with 4" some people can stay stock, others needed longer, just depends on the rig. This is all stuff I've learned from others, not my own application. If you want more ideas of what to buildup and where to get it I have all my plans on my website. Most of my research of what to get and where is from searching past threads on this site. My Plans It's for a burb, but most is applicable to Blazers, too.

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

note to self: never wheel with Psychotic Dead Guys, they drive death traps. if you're going to pick something to overlook on your rig, make it anything but brakes and steering.

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Fix the brakes, replace the shocks. Get a 4" lift and avoid most of the problems with a larger lift. Trim the fenders as necessary. Wheel it.

9. zopaintball

zopaintball Newbie

Thanks for the feedback guys I will post some pics on what I am starting with later today and show progress I am hoping to complete everything in about 2 months so it should go pretty fast.

ZO

10. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

I agree, you should get your brakes checked, but if nothing is found to be wrong, don't panic. These trucks have a tendency to pull right under heavy breaking due to the push pull type of steering. Compress the springs and the drag link pushes the steering arm slightly back. This cause a slight turn to the right.

11. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

i didnt mean overlook it if it is really bad. i have had 2 different dealers look at mine. 1 of them i had to force to check it out because its a problem that most dealers wont even deal with. if it is just a slight pull then you probably wont be able to get rid of it completely...if it is bad, by all means get it fixed.

12. zopaintball

zopaintball Newbie

More pics started a paint kob "rattle can" Yellow/black

Added Herciliner on the front floor board.

Was wondering if by the pics can anyone tell if that looks like a stock suspension? Them are 33/12.5 on there right now.

Thanks ZO

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]