Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Building for me!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dontoe, Nov 29, 2005.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Finally got it home a week or so ago. Got a fellow member from NC4X4 to haul it home from Boone. About 45 miles. Saved $500.00 delivery charge. Bought him a big steak and filled his diesel tanks for him!
    Believe it or not, it's gonna be 25X40 ft with a 13 ft roof and 8X10 doors, one on each end. Thanks guys for the help figuring out what I wanted. It came from US Buildings. Couldn't get a fair price on the concrete pad, so I'm going to do it myself over the winter. Got the bldg. for just under $10,000.00.

Shipping list states; 4,900 bolts!!! :eek1:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You are going to have forearms like Popeye. :D

Sounds like you are going to have a nice place to work. :waytogo:

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Have fun putting that together. My dad and uncle bought one to actually use as an airplane hangar. I believe it measures 40X80, and is two stories tall. Believe me, an alignment punch, a couple of buddies, and some scaffolding is needed.

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hope you've got an air compressor. :D

5. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Do the instructions say "Some assembly required"? :rotfl:

6. dontoe

Oh, the total weight was 5,500 lbs!
    Dang close to my DD K-5! :laugh:

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Congrats on the new building :saweet:

I worked on a farm up the road when I was younger and we assembled a few grain bins, which also have about eleventeen thousand bolts. We used a cheap electric impact wrench to tighten all the bolts, it worked real well.

8. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

That's something my parents need. Mostly as an extra storage shed.

9. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I don't think my Blazer would fit through the door.

10. dontoe

:eek1: :eek1: :eek1: :eek1:

My DD is just under 7' on level ground. :o

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

hey--just like my garage!...

Congrats on your new garage!..My Quonset building is almost identical as yours,only mine is 20ft. wide,all the other dimensions are the same!..I built mine mostly alone except for the first two arches,which I assembled on the ground and tilted them up using a few helpers,and a 16ft 4x4 post rigged into my reese hitch with metal plate and a square tube,and 2 outrigger "guy wires" back to the the truck's bed,so I could hoist them up using a pulley and a rope..they complete arch only weighed 140 lbs,but were very flimsy until a few were bolted together..

After you get 2 or 3 arches up and bolted down,you can stand on them,but I didn't have too--I also made a scaffold that bolted to my truck's bed,so I had a driveable platform to stand on while tightening the bolts..I'm not very good at working at heights,or on ladders,but I managed to build the whole thing ..after the 2 complete arches were up,I built it in sections,by putting one half of an arch in place,and sliding a long bolt in to "pin" it there,so it wouldn't blow over by the time I got some bolts started..

Mine came with about 4500 bolts too,(two five gallon pails full! :eek1: )-but I used wooden ends on my building,so I have about 500 nuts and bolts left over..the bolts are the only thing rusted on my building--the steel panels look new,and its been up since 1992!..bolts look like crap though..wish they were stainless,instead of plated..

My garage only weighed 3600 lbs delivered!..it came on a pallet similar to yours,120 panels--40 straight ones and 80 curved ones!..I didn't believe the building would fit in a pickup truck or a van when it came!..A semi-truck had 15 other buildings besides mine on it!..they delivered it free from Framptom Ontario Canada--it said "Future Steel Buildings" on the bill of lading--but I actually bought it from "SteelMaster Buildings" in Newport News VA.!..I got mine for 4,050 dollars..someone supposedly had paid a deposit on it,then saw the newer "gable" roof style quonsets,and decided to buy that kind instead--so the guy said they would "sacrifice" my building at near cost!

I had them cut down the straight side panels from 6' to 43.625"--so the building would only be 13' at the peak,instead of 18+'..it would have stood taller than our house!..but I think I would have been better off to have left it that height..I could have had an upstairs,and used it as storage,or as an apartment.. :doah: :frown1: wasn't thinking ahead! :thinking:

I had concrete footings and walls poured,just like a house foundation..I had ordered an optional "C" channel track the arches bolted into,rather than bury it directly in concrete--82 anchor bolts hold the channel to the foundation!- :eek1: -

I had to have a backhoe excavate the walls and footer areas..I had the floor poured later,about 2 months after it was built!--I was already working in it with only a crushed stone floor and plywood!..

It cost almost as much for the foundation and cement floor,and excavation as the building did.. :doah: --I almost put it on peirs instead,but I figured the costs out--it was actually cheaper to go the conventional route..our building inspector had no problems with peir foundation,but he didn't like the "floating slab" style idea..this way I could actually unbolt and move it if I wanted too..but I doubt I ever will!..I'd buy a taller bigger one if I ever have money again,or a place to build..not likely now,at my age.. :(

I've seen similar quonset buildings on display at agricultural fairs..they just used "Jersey Barriers" as a foundation!..another just has its arches buried directly in concrete,and the slab and walls are one peice "monolithic" slab..(the kind I had originally planned to use,but the building inspector said "NOPE". :mad:
    --funny they let contractors build wooden garages on them!--I tried explaining to him my garage weighs less than the truck I was parking inside it,and needs a foundation to hold it DOWN more than UP!..but he wouldn't bugde,and I had to build the foundation like a house would have..

You will enjoy your garage.! Mine's been through 2 hurricanes and several 2-3 foot blizzards,and no damage whatsoever !..a few larger ones like mine nearby collapsed during the blizzard of 1996 in january--but ours that are 25' or less wide are VERY strong--wider ones WILL squash under heavy snow loads..mine is only 22 gauge steel too--you can get as thick as 18 gauge optional! :eek1: ..you wont have too much snow to worry about in NC!..not for as long as I do anyway!.. :crazy: I can't wait to see yours "fully erect! :haha: --I got an "Erection Manual" with mine! :haha: :haha:

12. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

hmm, i want one also....

that a square or half moon style?

grant

13. dontoe

You wish!!!! :rolleyes:

14. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

No more gravel? Your going soft on us.

15. dontoe

Mine will be similar to this 'un. Except my end walls are steel, and the entrance door is steel![​IMG]

16. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Nice one. I've half heartedly looked into buying one of those. Buy a cordless screw gun, it will help you out.

17. diesel4me

oooops!

I meant YOUR GARAGE fully erect!! :blush: :ignore: :yikes:

You bought the "gable" style I see!..mine is a "round top"!..

I used a 1/2" electric drill and a sawed off 3/8" extention with a square nut 9/16" socket to tighten the bolts in my garage while building it..had to tighten some bolts that passed thru several laryers of arches with wrenches..I didn't use an air impact--it was way too noisy,and all I had was a 1/2 impact ..too heavy!.. :crazy:

I started building mine in september--took about 2 weeks alone to get all the arches up and bolted down!..they poured the floor the day before Thanksgiving,and I was still building wooden endwalls in january in the snow and 20 degree weather! :eek1: ..it took my thumb 6 months to grow all the skin back after starting all those nuts and bolts!..nearly got frostbite too..

First thing I did was put in the wood stove,even before the ends were made!..I hated cutting a hole in my expensive new building..but you gotta do what you gotta do!..used stovepipe for a chimney for 3 years,and had to replace it every 3 months!--finally built a chimney out of cement blocks and liners..but dont make my mistake!..I didn't need one!..and I cut the hole in the wrong part of the panel--should have cut the angled side,not the flat side where all the water flows! :doah: --

All I needed to do was to run the pipe INSIDE the shop,and cut 1 hole ,and use 2' of stainless pipe to exit the roof,with a "boot" around it..you get a lot more heat off the exposed stovepipe.. :doah: ..instead I'm heating an outdoor chimmney! :surepal: live and learn! :tongue1:

18. dontoe

I know! ;)

I was planning on one of those kerosene heaters that look like a jet engine to heat the place. Post a pic in a minute. Thinking about a used big window mount A/C unit stuck in the end wall for the summer.

Didn't know they made propane ones. Kool!

[​IMG]

19. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

propane is standered, tom of them on all out job sites now, should see the BI ones 2' wide and 6' long, hell they need a 1 1/2" gas line to keep them going, but man that is warm!

20. diesel4me

Heat is nice....

I had a 150,000 BTU propane heater like that I borrowed from my brother..it would only run about 5 minutes on a 20 lb gas grill style tank before it would freeze up and start sputtering,and eventually shut off..it required a 100lb tank minimum to properly operate it..that requires a contract with a gas company here. :( .

We did have a 300lb propane tank for the stove in our house at the time,and I tried plumbing it into that tank just to see how the heater worked..it was great,in 20 minites it was 85 degrees in there!..a Quonset holds the heat in for quite a while,despite being bare steel(no insulation in my building)...but I decided propane was too costly, and I'd be using a lot of it...

I tried a smaller 35,000 BTU propane heater a friend let me borrow,it would run on the 20 lb. tank OK,but it had to run constantly to get it up to about 45-50 degrees on a 25 degree day..a tank lasted 2 days if you let it run about 4 hrs a day..

I prefered the wood stoves--free heat,but getting and cutting the wood,and stoking the fire is a pain sometimes..but its better than freezing outside in the slush working under a truck!...I really wish I'd put radiant heat tubing in the floor slab now! :doah: --I could have used a 50/50 mix of prestone,and a circulation pump-and heated it with my woodstove,or even a car engine outside! :laugh: --It would be nice to have heated floors ,since your lying on it 90% of the time if your doing auto repair--even if its 90 degrees with the stove going at 6' high--,its still frosty on the floor .. :thinking: :tongue1: