Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New bumper project: will it be tough enough?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, Jul 13, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

Ok here's my design for a new front bumper since i smashed the other one on a steel post in a gas station parkin lot. to you think it will be strong enough? All welds will have to be oxy-acetelyne /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Anyway, that's the frame of the bumper, and then it will be covered in 1/4" steel plating, possibly diamond if i can't find any steel diamond plating.
    [​IMG]

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah it's going to be strong if you build lit like that. It's also going to weight 400lb.

Idealy the bumber would fail before the frame.

1/4 plate if you build a box out of it is major strong. Correct design that's all you would need. My bumper is 3/4 side plates bolted to the frame. Reason is they also have the Clevis holes in those plates. My front bumper is 1/4 plate to form the winch deck and lower skid. The ends are 4x4 box (3/16 wall) that also form air tanks. It weighs 80lb. Rear bumper is built the same way but the center plate is 3/16.
    [​IMG]