Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New bumpers, need advice!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Pookster, Dec 1, 2000.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Im in the market for a new front bumper. I've seen the SEC, but I've also talked to Kyle at Kennesaw Mountain, which have also made a few bumper for you guys.

Here are my concerns: (or reasons for getting new bumpers)
    - NYC Drivers are HORRIBLE. I want a bumper that will stand up to the abuse. The Steel ones that are usually used are OK, but will not stand up to anything more than 20mph usually.
    - Deer! I hate deer! I wanted a front bumper that would stand up to hitting a deer at 50mph, without causing front dammage to my truck.

- Wheeling. I cant really lift my truck anymore than stock, because parking garages here only accept vehicles up to 6'3". The truck, as measured,was 6'2" and when going up the ramp, the rear of my truck actually hits the "danger bar". I figure I will probably be hitting or just scraping my bottom by some rocks at some point, so I want the bumpers built with an angled skid plate; that way, if I hit anything, I will just slide over.

It seems like both companies can build me bumpers that both look tough and built the way I want it. Kennasaw Mountain told me that they acutally ran one of trucks (a K5!) into a tree, and there was no bumper damage at 35 mph. Its also plenty strong, they got stuck in a mud pit, ended up needing 2 winches supported by 4 trucks to pull the truck out, and the bumper held.

Im leaning toward Kennasaw, but wanted all of your opinion and experience.

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Spend a little extra on the SEC, you will be happy, I have had many problems with Kennasaw bumpers, I had to order 3 bumpers alone just to get the 3rd one 50 percent correct, they are cheaper for a reason, their customer service is lacking to say the least. "You get what you pay for" the SEC are very stout and he does awesome work the FIRST time around.

Steve
    [​IMG]
    1990 K5 with stuff

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

What I mean is

Kennasaw "bad" SEC "good"

Steve
    [​IMG]
    1990 K5 with stuff

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

ahh.. didnt know that.

Will they build to spec?

Do I get a Coloradok5 discount? :)

5. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Just let SEC know what you want and they should be able to build it to your tastes.

Communication Breakdown
    74 Blazer
    Zeppelin

6. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

If it were my money i would definitly go with SEC. Fredd does really great work and i have heard too many people having problems at the Kennesaw. Just my opinion though.

http://k5junkie.coloradok5.com/

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Have ever seen those test crashes on TV? You know, the ones where they slam a brand new vehicle into a fixed barrier at 40 MPH? It deforms most of the vehicle. I'm EXTREMELY skeptical of anyone that says they ran into a tree at 35 MPH and didn't do any damage. Maybe they were doing 35 when they hit the brakes... [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well building the bumper to survive a 50mph impact is no problem if you don't mind the weight...now the frame that the bumper is bolted too is another story. Sure that bumper survived but it's going to cost a good bit at the frame shop to pull the frame out.
    SEC looks like they make some serious stuff....Everybody has been happy with Fredd as far as I know and I like what his product looks like.
    I know Kyle personaly and been to his shop. I have seen him build some really good stuff but he is overwhelmed sometimes and has upset a few people or he forgets what exactly was asked for. Bumpers are a side deal to him. His main buisness is building custom Utility beds for work trucks. He did 200+ bumpers last year so it's one heck of a side buisness! but in his defence when he has a bucket truck that he's building a bed for that he's going to make $8k off of one job but it is going to take 10 days to complete, the bumpers get held up. Personaly I feel he needs to be more upfront with people and I quite honestly would be hacked if I had a problem like Steve did...I have even told this to him.
    For local people that bring their trucks to him where he can fit it to the vehicle and be looking at it with the customer...NEVER heard a complaint. A good many of the trucks in our club run his bumpers and racks. Now one other thing in Kyles defence on the part that Steve had a problem with. Erick is a guy who works for Kyle. He has a 77k5 and thats the truck he used for mesurments on Steves bumper. Kyle did not know that there was a difference in the frame horns after 80. Thats probably a good bit of the issues on fitment that Steve had. If you order from him remind him the frame is different and also let him know if you have a body lift so he can adjust for that.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

9. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

heres my personal logic on the whole 35mph smack up with the tree. I want the truck to get hurt in an accident like that, because something has to give, and if its not the truck or the bumper, then its your ass......for example- they engineer crumple zones for a reason, so you don't get crumpled, as for NYC traffic, you could be driving in a police cruiser and they'll still cut you off.............js

10. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

YEah, I took a lot of those things into consideration, mainly the vehicle was designed to crumple under severe impact. Thing is 6000 lbs of steel barelling down the highway hitting a 600 lb deer causes a lost of intertia, not sure how much.

With that estimate, Im figuring that only about 1000 lbs of impact is going to be taken. I could be totally wrong, but I've hit deer before, and it wasnt too severe (in a mini van). But it did take out the lights, trim, dented the hood, fenders, bumper, grill, and bent the radiator.

If the frame gets bent from an impact, (and I hope it isnt single vehicle cause then Im dead) it is still cheaper than getting a nose clip.

11. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Nothing againt SEC but what about Reunel? Or a local Fab shop?

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

12. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I'm sorry but I have to ask this question. How many deer are you going to run across in NYC? Are you sure your not talking about sewage rats??

Don't you buy no ugly truck!
    http://"http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com"

13. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Pookster,

I have KMA's on the front and rear of my K5. The customer service sucked, but the front bumper is better than anything available either prefab or custom on the internet, or planet as far as Im concerend. I have not seen a bumper that looks better than mine. Granted, that may be only my opnion, but I've done things with my bumper that I didnt' think that it would do. I don't go ramming through trees, but use it for recoverys all the time when wheeling. I have no complaints about the front. The rear on the other hand is quite simple. Any person could make a bumper like KMA's. I'm thinking of remaking my own for the rear. I've seen SEC's bumpers, and quite frankly think they look like something out of the road warrior. They may be stout, and the guy may be great, but its not for me.

Best of luck. If you like what I have, and SEC can reproduce, let me know what you need. I'd advise against internet orders from KMA.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

14. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

The reason the cars deform so much in those tests is because that is what they are-cars. Most of them don't even have a strong frame. They are also designed to crumple and weigh about half as much as a K5. Our trucks have big steel bumpers and cars have cheezy plastic ones. I was at the Toyota dealer with my family a few years ago, and the new cars dont have license plates, so you can see inside the bumper, and the material in the bumper is actually styrofoam. that is why cars get so messed up in an accident against a truck, and trucks survive accidents and crash tests better.

90K5

15. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Having been in an acident recently I can comment on this. The frame of my k5 was bent badly enough that it now sits 2" lower on the passenger side. However the bumper was still intact, and pretty straight considering I hit a non moving car going while I was going 55mph or so. I think that a heavier bumper would only have done more damage to the car I hit, and transfered more of a blow to the frame. After all, in an accident the most important thing is your safety, not your vehicle. As for that running into a tree at 35mph thing, I'm sure its true, the tree was probably only 1" in diameter though.

Brian
    84k5

16. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The styrofoam is a fill peice that is over a stamped steel bumper. It just holds the shape of the plastic bumper cover. Most new cars are the same. There are plenty of cars that are safer that our truck in a high speed acident.....most come out of Germany and Europe.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

17. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status