Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new burb, new member, new to sport. any advise?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by babyburb, Oct 25, 2006.

1. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

Just purchased 76 burb 3/4 K20 with 400 to turbo 400, NP205, d44/14ff running 265/75-16 on 16x8 rims. A set of Pro Comp mudders, front homebuilt bumper w/winch and fender cut outs are in near future. 6" lift, bigger shoes, and rear locker hopefully in the spring. After reading up on stuff, I wanted to start some affordable mods immediatley. This will be my work and play truck. Any suggestions on the following?
    Is it worth the time to trim and grind the lip on 14ff axle?
    Will trimming corners off of wells clear 33 11.50's?
    Any suggestions on front bumper?
    This is the first 4x4 I've own. I blew up my 2x4 ranger playing in it :D. Any help for a rookie?
    babyburb

2. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Welcome to CK5!! Just stick around and search for what ever you want to do with your ride. It is worth shaving the lip. The best mod you can do for cheap is put a weld on and bolt on frame brace so your steering doesnt fail. Trimming you fenders will be trial and error.

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Welcome. Avoid doing this:
    [​IMG]

4. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i'd say don't trim to fit tires that small. i'm running 31x10.5, (until i can wear them out and get some 33x12.5) on my stock-height, k5, right now, and i have no rub issues. had the front left brush the inside of the wheelwell (which trimming won't help, anyway) when i had the front fully flexed. just for kicks, i put my friend's 35x12.5s on there, with his butt-ugly rusty wheels, and wheeled all day with no fender contact. that's mud, sand, and crawling near full flex. i'd say try the tires before lifting or cutting anything.

trimming aside, you should be able to go way bigger than 33" with a 14 bolt ff. i'm a little jealous.

5. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

only reason I would trim is 1. not worried so much about cutting on the burb 2. i want to go as big as I can with the 6" lift. plan on buying a rim and tire package and swap out the meats between work and play. I often tow heavy trailers and do not want to wear out my play shoes.

6. matneyr

matneyr Registered Member

Welcome! I love to see fellow burban drivers. It's really awe-inspiring to see one of these huge trucks bashing along on a trail that they just barely fit on! I'd trim the fenders. You should be able to run 39's with moderate fender trimming and approximately 5 inches of lift (ORD shackle flip with 2-inch rear springs, 4-inch springs in the front with HD hangers). Avoid getting too tall! You'll end up like the picture above:)