Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New burb owner...

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by K5 NUTT, Mar 23, 2003.

1. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

If having a 76 Chalet and a 79 K5 wasn't enough....we are buying a 90 V20 Burb tomorrow for my wife...the Honda was fine until our lil one was born 6 months ago...

Found it saturday by accident behind a guys barn..fresh paint..tires...red/silver...full power..to include the rare power mirrors...needs some minor work...dash vents...speedo inop..oil psi gauge done...and a rattle in the motor's bottom end when first fired up for a couple seconds...350 TBI..TH400...$4K.

Doug W. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

PS...see what you started Dremu and BlazzinOr!

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Doug,
    Congrats man. Welcome to the Suburban club. check out "backcountryburbs" its a discussion list on yahoo. They are putting together a suburban run in june around Silverton. Peggy and I might try to make it.
    Mark

3. holyjohnson

holyjohnson Registered Member

welcome to the world of subs!

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    check out "backcountryburbans" its a discussion list on yahoo.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can we find this? It doesn't come up as a match on the Yahoo page. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Oh man!!! A rattle in the bottom end when fired up?? Mine did that, then pitched a rod through the side of the oil pan 2 months later!!! Be careful!!!

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Harry, do a search for "backcountryburbs" (not backcountryburbans)...i went thru this same confussion earlier today, but I managed to find it...the post was just misspelled /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. azblazor

Sorry about miss spelling the "backcountryburbs" yahoo group guys.
    Mark

8. HarryH3

Ahh, that should make quite a difference! Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Looks like i got more problems than i bargined for...trans has a glitch also...no 3rd. At least a TH400 is cheaper to build than a TH700R4. CEL comes on...code 24..no vss by the scanner...so i'll buy me a vss...needs shocks...dead oem's on her...to dark to take pics...tomorrow. Will go look at that web site Mark.

DW /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

11. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif i feel like i just won the triple crown or a trifecta.

1) 1976 K5 Chalet
    2) 1979 K5
    3) 1990 V20 Burb

Who needs anything else? Lol.

DW

12. azblazor

Man you got to slow down with those name changes! You need a Pick up now. Probably a K30.

13. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

First change was due to the move...and the gang from az. giving me poop...so i finally after months of deliberation came up with a good one....unfortunately the name was to long...and steve asked me to try another much shorter name..thus the K5 NUTT....i kinda like it..

14. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

First change was due to the move...and the gang from az. giving me poop...so i finally after months of deliberation came up with a good one....unfortunately the name was to long...and steve asked me to try another much shorter name..thus the K5 NUTT....i kinda like it..

DW /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

15. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    If having a 76 Chalet and a 79 K5 wasn't enough....we are buying a 90 V20 Burb tomorrow for my wife...the Honda was fine until our lil one was born 6 months ago...

Found it saturday by accident behind a guys barn..fresh paint..tires...red/silver...full power..to include the rare power mirrors...needs some minor work...dash vents...speedo inop..oil psi gauge done...and a rattle in the motor's bottom end when first fired up for a couple seconds...350 TBI..TH400...$4K.

Doug W. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

PS...see what you started Dremu and BlazzinOr!

[/ QUOTE ]
    You suck! I have been looking for one for a month! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Get rid of that cheap oil filter. Put a AC filter on it. the drain back valve in the oil filter isn't working. The oil is draining back through the filter and the oil pump and sucking the oil right out of the bearings. Should get rid of most of that start up knock.
    Check the plug on the fire wall and the ground cable behind the passengerside head for your electrical gremlins.

Congrats. As soon as I find the right one I'll be in the club as well. I found a 88 that has 71k on it and about as clean as they get. Just don't like the blue over white two tone paint, the drop gate and no privacy windows. If it had the barn doors I would buy it. I have one I'm looking at that has the doors and glass and even a sunroof. Hope to go see it Saturday. If it's a POS I may just buy this 88. I really can't go wrong with it. It's been taken well care of.

16. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Grimy...don't even know what oil filter is on it...it came home with the cel on...so i left it running...hooked up my trusty snap-on scanner...code 24...VSS...never fear..this kid won't run out and buy a new vss...i do electrical gremlns for a living...start by ohming vss for open and go from there...lol. Point being...it took 3.5 quarts trans fluid...still has no 3rd gear...and anything more than slight throttle application nets a in and out kick down...guess weare gonna pull her out...and yes...i stock nothing but ac delco oil filters in my garage...but i haven't had the time to do anything but take pics of her on my way out to work today.

Didn't get comp's shipped today...my bad. Got involved in some real pains today at the shop....trans day today...lol.

17. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Congrats Doug! She'll love it.........my wife finally drove my beast this week down on vacation at the beach..........first time drivers of a Burb on a 6" lift and 35's are scary..........we were on the beach (literally) though so plenty of room to get used to the behemoth. Only thing she had to worry about running into was the ocean or the dunes - 1/4 mile apart. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. HarryH3

Careful Frank! A short time after I bought the '94 Sub, I let my wife drive it for a few days. That was over 4 years ago... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif She wouldn't give it up for anything! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif