Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New burb pics, messed up doors, electrical problems and a FUBAR'd seat!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by afroman006, May 19, 2003.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

New burb pics, messed up doors, electrical problems and a FUBAR\'d seat!

Yesterday I went to pick up my 91 3/4 ton Sub from Austin and brought it (along with a 454) back home. I will have pics uploaded to my webshots soon so check it out! The body is awsome, except for a few dents in the rear door, which will get fixed. The interior needs some attention though.

For starters, the drivers side window doesnt go down (power windows and door locks). I dont know why. I figure it could be the motor, or the switch, what should I look for. Also, how do I get the motor out? I was at the J-yard saturday and couldnt figure out how to get the dang motor out of a door. What other things should I replace while I'm inside the door? The door lock switches unlock the doors but dont lock them. Is the switch repairable or do I need a new one? Also, the driver's door doesnt latch right. About 4 times outta 5, no matter how hard you slam it, it only half closes, like it latches shut but not all the way, so it rattles. What causes this? Do I need a whole new latch or just fix a part? I figure once I get one door outta the way the rest shouldn't be too hard.

Now for the electrical problems. The A/C eats fuses like crazy. Just on the trip home yesterday I had to replace it twice. It has a 30 amp fuse in it right now but the fuse block says 25 for that spot. What is causing the fuses to keep going out. It also has crazy speedometer syndrome. It work ok up to about 55 but once I get past that it just starts floppin around like crazy. That is unless I take it out of overdrive, then it works fine. Oh yah, when the AC fuse goes out, the speedometer doesnt work at all. The engine temp gauge never works. The lights on the gauge panel dont work either. And the parking brake light wont ever go out. The dome lights on the inside never work. I know this is alot but I'd like to fix as much of this as possible myself if I can.

When I got it, the driver's side seat was messed up, it could not support itself, there was a bucket propping it up between the back and the rear seat. So I put the passenger's seat in its place. I need to fix the other seat cause the burb looks funny with only one seat in the front. I'll post pics of the damage along with the general burb pics so y'all can see whats wrong.

I know this is alot but I'm really excited about the new burb and want to get everything fixed up as soon as possible. Thx for the help.

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: New burb pics, messed up doors, electrical problems and a FUBAR\'d seat!

I'll reply on the window motor - PITA!!! Now is a good time to install some 6" speakers in the lower front of the door. This makes the job MUCH easier.

Very common item. These motors are weak.

3. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

I think there was a factory recall on some of the front seat bolts. that may account for the flopping around. Might be worth a call to the local GM dealer to confirm.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Looks nice! I'm not sure if it's the quality of the pic or what but there appears to be two different shades of white on the drivers side. The rear door looks to be 'whiter' then the rest...maybe it was hit on that side which could explain the drivers door problems?

Does the striker bolt still have the plastic bushing on it? The doors don't close nicely without those bushings (in my experience...)

Power lock solenoids are probably weak
    Speedo...is that the electonic speedo or does it have a cable?
    Power window motors suck to change, I got fed up with mine and cut an access hole in the door that would get covered by the carpeted lower part of the door panel. That sure made getting to the motor much easier.

Also the wiring tends to get corroded in there. I had to repair and replace the wiring a few times on mine.

Rene

5. afroman006

Factory recall? As in I can get someone else to fix it for free? I hope so, I dont know how to drill bolts out. Thx for the advice Rene, there's already some bigass holes in the door right above the motors where some 6x9" speakers were mounted (very poorly /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif). So hopefully that'll make it easier. How do I get the motor seperated when I cant get the glass down? I've heard something about greasing the tracks and the door innards while its taken apart, what exactly do I grease? I'm not possitive but I think the speedo is electronic. LMC doesnt list replacement speedo's for 91's (which doesnt really matter as the 89-90 ones are $300! *screw that*). Anyone have any ideas why the AC eats fuses? Thx for the help.

6. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

When I bought my sub, it was from the original owner... and i can't remember if HE had the notice from GM, or if it got sent to me.... Also recall finding one of those sites you can look up your make/model/year and get the poop on any recall on that vehicle (a fed site??)...
    but called my local chevy dealer, made an appointment, and no cost at all. Seems they slapped a sticker under the hood somewhere saying they'd done their voo-doo on that recall program.
    Heck, it's worth a call at least to see. I think it was weak bolts that held the upper seat in place (actually think it's looser since they did it, but that'd be a different thread! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

7. afroman006

Anyone else have any suggestions?

8. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Nice 'Burb /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif