Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Cam in a used motor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Jun 15, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I have a motor with about 62,000 miles on it since a rebuild. Ran strong, but last I ran it, you could here a clicking from the lifters when it would first start up cold. It would go away as soon as they pumped up.

Would just throwing a new cam and lifters in it be alright without having to change cam bearings and all that?

I don't want to have to rebuild the whole motor since it runs so good, but I don't want to run it if the lifters are getting worn.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

It depends on who you ask. Personally if the engine is in otherwise perfect condition, I would do it. Just like a junkyard jewel project motor. Of course I would replace the timing chain set while I was in there , after 60 some odd thousand miles /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I wouldnt hesitate to do it. Inspect the bearings and old cam for bearing wear but 60K on cam bearings shouldnt be a problem at all. Like Paul suggested, I'd replace the timing set while youre there as well /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I did it to an old 305 i had in a previous car, just be careful with removing the old cam and installing the new, trying not to bang up the bearings during removal and install, then do the normal cam break in, should work fine.

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I have done it several times. Cam bearings "usually" don't fail. Not really a high stress area!! Go for it!