Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Cam on an old motor?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ford_assassin, Oct 25, 2004.

1. ford_assassin

ford_assassin 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, in an attempt to gain alittle more ponies out of my gutless 160HP (stock) 350cid in my '86 Chevy K5 Blazer, I am seriously considering a cam swap to help in the fight. I am a long way from building my 'dream' 383 for it, so I have to make due for now.

Here's my question. Is this a good idea on a motor with 100k already on the clock? The motor runs strong and smooth, great oil pressure, oil changed every 3k miles, etc. The cam would be a mild Summit hyd flat tappet grind (clone of the Edelbrock 'Performer' cam). Of course matching lifters and new Z28/LT4 valve springs/retainers will be installed as well.

Plus, while the motor is out of the truck, the motor will be cleaned up and repainted. Also the following would be replaced and/or installed: Performer (EGR) intake, double roller timing chain, Melling oil pump w/ new shaft, aluminum water pump, Carter fuel pump, full length SMOG legal headers, etc. Hopefully I'll get another 100k miles out of it before a total teardown and rebuild is needed.

Since the truck was new it has never been able to break traction on the dry street. I always thought it was because of the factory posi-traction. But even after 4.11 gears replaced the stock 3.08's, still nothing. Breaking traction isn't a priority, but at least it tells me that I have room for improvement. If I could get 50HP gain out of all the mods, I'd be pretty happy.

How much do you think I'll gain with all the improvements?

Thanks guys.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You ask if it's a good idea with that many miles on it.

IMO, no. As soon as you start messing with something that is very reliable, you will undoubtedly have problems.

Sounds like you'd almost be into a rebuild of the engine anyways, I say save the money for your 383, and enjoy driving a RELIABLE vehicle as is. All those mods will make some power, but if they aren't going to be re-used on the 383, that's money you may not "enjoy". I see a lot of things on your list that cost money and will add nothing to a well running engine, like fuel pump, oil pump, AL water pump, and double roller chain.

These engines make pathetic HP, but they make good torque, even the worst emissions-wise. For getting these trucks moving, the low end torque is where it's at, of course at the expense of upper end power.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The Edelbrock performer cam is outdated crap anyway. If you're going to clone any cam with a less expensive model do yourself a favor and make sure that it is a modern day cam like Comp and Crane and a few others are offering.

4. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

A new intake and headers woudnt be a bad idea. They're pretty straight foward and will help the motor breathe. Even with a real good camshaft you wont be getting the full potential without better flowing heads.

Later

5. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

Youll be fine. Your motor should wake up a bit after the change.