Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Cam

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudFrog, Dec 26, 2000.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I'm looking at maybe getting a new cam. I want something that will give me some more torque and power. I have a stock 350 TBI. What would be a good Cam to put in (in terms of duration and that kind of stuff). I never have understood that stuff. At the moment the blazer is stock, but I plan on going to 35" in the summer.

89 K5 Silverado
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com>http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com</A>

2. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

crane replacement part number for a TBI truck engine is 114122. Crane claims a lot more torque, some more horse, and better mileage. I had a comparable cam in an old suburnan of mine. I noticed excellent off Idle torque and more horse generally, I didn't notice increased gas mileage however. By the way I was running a carb. Whatever you pick, short duration and high lift is the key for a truck engine. I'M sure some of the other engine gurus around here have some other cam picks for you ....js

3. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    I just got a comp cam 4x4. The lift is .447 on the intake, .462 on the exaust with 210/218 degree duration. In other words it has a large lift and short duration which is what you want unless you drive your truck above 5000 rpm. You get great off idle torque, smooth idle, and it does not suck hardly any vacume away from your power breaks like alot of the big cams do. Loof for a cam made specifically for trucks and 4x4s.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5