Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Camaro

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ratzila, Aug 8, 2005.

1. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

Chevy Camaro Concept Slated for '06 Detroit Show, '09 Debut
    Date Posted 08-04-2005

DETROIT — Chevrolet plans to take the wraps off a concept Camaro at the 2006 Detroit auto show in January.

Also, Inside Line has learned the automaker is evaluating proposals to revive the classic performance-car nameplate in 2009-2010 on a new low-cost rear-wheel-drive platform.

Among the scenarios under discussion inside General Motors is the development of a lower-cost version of the Sigma rear-drive platform that underpins the Cadillac CTS and STS sedans. Another proposal would take the new rear-drive platform that's being developed in Australia for the next-generation Holden Commodore sedan and spin off a low-cost variant for North America.

GM planners are said to have targeted several body styles for the Chevy and Pontiac brands on a new rear-drive platform, including a sport sedan, a sporty coupe and a convertible. The Camaro and GTO badges could be used on those vehicles, according to company sources.

Across town, Chrysler is said to be preparing a concept Dodge Challenger for the '06 Detroit show, to test the market for a proposed two-door performance car it wants to introduce around 2008-2009 as a potential competitor to the Ford Mustang.

What this means to you: Guess it was just a matter of time and environmental awareness — the original definition of muscle cars doesn't fit well with new perceptions of what's best for the world...could there be a "green" muscle car in our future?

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

There better be a camaro, cause I want that to be my next vehicle.

4. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I've seen a few things here and there about Ford coming out with a new two door "small" bronco like the ones from the early 70's. Wonder if GM will ever reinvent the K5?

5. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

There's been rumblings like that since '02. I'll believe it when I see it.

6. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

Im pretty sure Ford squashed the bronco idea :mad: . Probably for the better anyway since they were thinking of building it off of the escape chassis which would mean unibody, ifs and irs, and no 2 speed tcase! I also heard GM decided not to build the new camaro on another thread here, but that could be wrong. They will probably just continue to build gay vehicles like the SSR and the HHR(if that is what its called, the old school suburban looking thing.)

7. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Even though I'm not a Furd guy I do like the old small broncos. The pics i saw of the new ones looked pretty good

8. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

I don't see any new camaro in my future the wifey will have to keep her 02 z-28.

9. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I hope they make it better quality than the last POS Camaro. We had one at work and that thing was horrible. I have a buddy who had one until he finally got sick of it falling apart. However, you couldn't beat the speed for the price.....

10. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

I am an Early Bronco fanatic. I agree the concept looked very cool and much like the original early broncos, but they would have completely murdered the true off road soul of the EB by building it off of the escape chassis.Now it would have been neat if they would build one to give the Rubicon a competitor with flexy suspension, solid front and rear axles with low gears and lockers and a nice low range in the tcase, now im dreaming again :doah:

11. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The people who want it , US , will not buy it in enough numbers for GM to make it .

Bob Lutz also killed the new RWD platform .

We may see some rebadged Holdens though .

12. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The suv killed the camaro GM put alot of money into the suv and with gas prices rising and sales falling GM has axed alot of projects one of which I heard was the new camaro. Ford also has had some problems everyone knows that GM was downgraded to junk bond status well Ford was a week later, they have killed some projects too inluding the new lightning

13. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Thats what I said , US , refers to US . Our type of people love Camaros . We don't buy them in enough numbers . And the majority of us who wants GM to make one , won't even buy one ( at least new anyway ).

The general public , will buy the Tahoes and Suburbans etc