Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new camshaft

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chulisohombre, Jun 18, 2002.

1. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i ahve a 350 with 2.02 intake corvette heads and 1.6 roller rockers.elelbrock intake/carb combo.what would be the best camshaft for the setup i have?i was looking at the crane energizer cams for 114 with free lifters.i think the edelbrock one is around the same price.also,any tips on doing the camshaft change.ive done everything else on the top of the engine eccept for a camshaft change.so i dont have any experience at this and dont want someone else working on my rig.i dont know anyone around here that has done one.but i know i always get help on here.thanx in advance /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Hmm, I can't really help with personal experience with the cam selection since I have a BBC in the Blazer! Just don't go radical! You'll miss the low end power. In terms of what to look for... I did a cam swap with the engine in my rig (again w/the BBC), and had to remove the rad., not to mention cut a notch out of the core support. Be careful removing it, to remove it you will have to rotate the cam lobes around the bearings in the block. Be patient, it will take some time! Same when installing. Be sure to install new lifters, and timing chain if required by the vendor for the warranty. Then all you have to worry about is the valve lash. That is the tricky part. See the URL below for advice on that subject!

Good luck with everything! I would suggest you post up your final cam selection for everyone to check out right before you purchase it. That way, you know that its going to work okay with your combo.

http://www.centuryperformance.com/valveadjustment.htm

/forums/images/icons/wink.gif
    -Dan

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

can anyone help me?needd more input

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Call the cam manufacturers. Tell them what you have (motor heads, carb, fuel injection, ignition, headers etc.) , what you plan on driving it like (wheeling, towing, racing).

Then they will be able to give you a pretty good matched cam.

5. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Krazie what year is you rig?When I did my cam swap in my '77 I just pulled the grill and unbolted the latch support.Brady