Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new car ads

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bigjbear, Jul 11, 2006.

1. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Anyone tried to buy a new car for the "low, low discount price" in the Sunday paper? A local dealer had new Impalas for $15,900. I'm temped to go take a look. I assume they won't come down anymore off that figure, or will they? Even if they don't, that is about the same as some of the 1-2 yr old cars I've been looking at.

There are plenty of other models, that is just an example I figure guys here would recognize. No Grand Prixs though, maybe that will be next week's ad. (I hope)

2. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

when you get there, be prepared for them to tell you that they "just sold the last one", or something like that. My experience is that the ads have little to do with what's on the lot.

A buddy of mine tried to buy a new chevy truck that was advertised for a low price, and when he asked that the advertised truck be shown to him, the salesman kept saying " we don't have anymore like that, all we have are the ones costing 5 grand more", ( they were the same model, same options as the advertised trucks )and this was the day the ad appeared in the paper.

My buddy pulled out his checkbook and said that he'd buy a truck on the spot, if he could have it for the advertised price, and they wouldn't sell it.

No wonder people buy imports..

Good luck.

Tom

3. bigjbear

I've got a budget and don't mind walking away, I think I would just leave and shop elsewhere if they pulled something like that. I guess it might still be too early for the "end of the model year" nonsense. The truth is I will most likely buy something a year or two old anyway.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'd threaten false advertising. I'm not a sue happy person but **** like that is bull.

5. bigjbear

anyone else

6. 68MUDSTUD

68MUDSTUD OCD with shiny things

HAHA ask mtchevy or 66chev about this one...lol... i was in this dealership, with them, looking at this 03 chev, 1/2 ton, shorty 4wd, he said he wanted 19.5 for it and i was like well, i can do 17, hes like nope, i cant do it, so i looked at 66chev and i was like "Are you ready to go?" the salesman is like WAIT a second, here look at these while i go talk to the bossman. LOL it was Greeeeaaaat!

i ended up going home without a new truck, but oh well...

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I very carefully read the fine print in a newspaper ad I saw a few years back for cheap new cars at a local big-name dealer. Among all the other legal BS, the fine print said they had ONE car at the price advertised in 2"-tall numbers on the page... and all other cars on the lot were priced higher. It's shady as hell, but I guess it's "legal" to advertise prices like that as long as you have at least one unit to sell at that price.

Needless to say, that local dealer will never see me or my money...

8. bigjbear

It seemed so fishy I never even bother to drive over there. I'll probably get a used '06 when the '07s come out in a month or two. (I know some of the '07s are out already so the rest shouldn't be too far behind, two more months tops)

9. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

This happened recently to me. Ive been looking to but a new truck. (prolly a year old) there was an ad for an 06 dodge quad cab, 4x4, st (base) package, 6 ft bed, 6 sp, ac, cd player for 19,995. (thats 10 grand off retail, and there was 0% financing:eek1:) i got there around 9am the day of the ad... What i got "sorry, we cant honor that, its a misprint, that truck is really 27xxx" (mind you it wasnt only labeled 19,995, retail is 29,995 and it said 10,000 off. more than just a simple misprint)

So after going at it with the guy for a few minutes i grabbed my phone book in my jeep and came back into the dealership. right in front of him i called the better business bureau!:D He got mad, and desperate...the longer i was on the phone the lower the price went:haha: I finally got so pissed with the dealer ship that i didnt wind up getting it anyways. what if i had to bring it back in for service? i THINK they'll remember me:rolleyes: Im still waiting for the right deal but calling the better business bureau worked for sure!

10. bigjbear

That is awsome!