Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Carb...Engine Wont Idle. HELP!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by broncoman6524, Feb 26, 2006.

1. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

Alright i just put my new intake (edelbrock performance eps) and new carb (edelbrock performer 600cfm). It all went together fine. But now my engine wont idle and runs realy rich. When i put in gear it begins to stall and eventually does, unless you punch the gas. PLEASE HELP im lost! The carburator was pulled off a BB chevy in my garage and was new two years ago. It hasnt run since and ran great when it was on the other motor.

I realy dont wanna have to ride the bus to school tomorrow but i think i'll have to.

Also what can i hook my electric choke to, so it'll work right? (Pos. cable part req constant 12v source)

THNX

motor 350
    carb edelbrock 600cfm performer
    intake edelbrock performer eps
    everything else is stock

Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  2. broncoman6524

3. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Dont hook your choke to a constant 12v source or you'll come out n the morning to a dead battery and wonder why. You want 12 volts when key is "ON." Check starter solenoid or fuse box.
    What have you done if anything to fix how its running? First check for vacuum leaks. Then use a vacuum gauge to tune carb. Keep leaning it out til you get max vacuum. Or if you cant get a hold of vacuum gauge lean er out to max RPM. I think Edelbrock has online manuals to tell what baseline to use on the carb. I would have torn the carb apart and shot it all with car cleaner before installing if it sat for a couple years. The settings will be different from a BB nd yer 350. It probly got gummed up and/or started to corrode after sitting for so long.

4. broncoman6524

Im thinking its corroded too. Tonight i took out the tuning screws and cleaned them as well as shot carb cleaner into the holes and blew it out. Helped but it still wont idle. So tomorrow i'll be rebuilding the carb.