Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new carb

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jay web, Aug 19, 2002.

1. jay web

jay web Registered Member

heres an easy one. '85 k5, stock replacement 350, original 240k carb. any reccommendations for a new one? i have an edelbrock 1406 (600 cfm) and perf. intake lying around. is that one compatible? what about that new holley truck carb? oh, yeah, the stock one's been rebuilt 3 or 4 times and has just about had it.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't think you are going to find many on here that say anything bad about the Q-jets. Stock ones last well over 130K, so one rebuild done right, should have fixed yours up for plenty of time.

Q-jets don't have very many wear parts, and I just don't see the casting/hard parts wearing out in our lifetimes, unless it was mistreated.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The worst that can happen to Q-Jets are the throttle shafts wear down a little , creating a vacuum leak. Good carb shop could press in brass bushings. Edelbrock and Jet both make good Q-Jets. I really do not reccomend running an Edelbrock or Carter AFB based carb off road. You really have to modify them to keep from stalling or flooding at extreme angles. Its my personal experience that a Q-jet will keep idling beautifully on hills that scare the @#!$ out of you !

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'd at least try to run the Edelbrock carb and the Performer manifold that you already have. For about $20 and an hour of work you should be able to get that carb to run real nice both on and off road. I run a Performer carb with the off-road mods and I love it. Great gas mileage and it works real well off road. I know it's not a popular choice on CK5, but it is a hell of a lot easier to tune that a Q-jet. </font color>