Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new carb

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mouse, Jan 9, 2004.

1. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I will be buying a new carb for the Blazer and wanted your opinion. Currently the 350 has an Edelbrock intake and carter AFB setup. The carter is binding and I don't feel like rebuilding it. It has unknown amount of miles on it. My first choice is an Edelbrock 600 w/electric choke (1406?). Any opinions?

Thanks... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

If you must use a carb, like me. Then I would suggest a Quadrajet, good ones come from Edelbrock, Jet, I-5 Auto etc. I used AFB style before and it stalled all the time, even had off road needle and seat. My Q-jet idles everywhere. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have the Edelbrock 1407 manual chock on mine and it does great /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had a Carter AFB comp. series on one of my old K5's. I bought it new and put it on when I rebuilt the motor with the full Edelbrock Performer set up and once I'd sorted out the jetting and needles (which took a bit of doing /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif!) it was fantastic. Much better than my current Holley 600 /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif but not as good as my injection on my '91 !! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I've had a hard time rebuilding and tuning quadrajets in the past. Are the clones tuned the same way? I thought the edelbrocks pretty much ran good right out of the box?