Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New carpet or LineX

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlueOx, Aug 27, 2001.

1. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

The heat here in TX is real bad and my Blazer has not carpet in it. The inside of it is like an oven. I need to get some thing to stop the heat from coming in. I was either goind to get new carpet w/ under padding or have the thing Line X'ed. What do you thing the best thing to do for the heat is.

Thanks.

2. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

Spend the $400 on the line-x. well worth it and won't wear out like the carpet. Good investment. I just had it done.

1990 GMC Jimmy 350/TH700R4/NP241/10 bolts, 4" skyjacker lift, 35x12.50R15 BFG All Terrains on 15x10 AR Baja's, Flowmasters.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The key is it has to be THICK over the tunnel. If they put it on thin it's is not as effective.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

4. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

you had the interior of your blazer done for $400!!? wow thats a great deal i paid $570 for mine last week. Floor boards are considerably cooler that just the bare metal floor, alot quiter, and less creeks and sqweeks than before. Truck also looks alot better, and i dont have to worry about moisture under the carpet.

5. 1990SilveradoK5

1990SilveradoK5 1/2 ton status

Not meaning to sound ignorant but what is LineX?

I am going to need to do sheetmetal work (floors &amp; rockers) to my K5 this winter and want to know what my options are when I put her back together.

Gone Large and Loving It.
    Keith
    Manchester, MI

6. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Line-x is a sprayed in bedliner that alot of people have been putting inside and out on ther K5's . You can also buy doit yourselfers called herculiner and rhinolinr and i think theres another one that you roll on yourself.

1977 K5 Blazer [​IMG]
    GET IT AWN

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

line x lasts longer by far. but carpet will be cooler than the line x. you can always do both....
    or the rubber mats on top of the line x. this will be nice and cool and be great for your truck.
    Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I would find it hard to believe that Line-X would be able to remove heat from the inside of your truck. The stuff seems like some sort of petroluem-based (asphalt) type product which will absorb heat....the only way it might reduce the heat is by absorbing it and distributing it over a larger area (like a heat sink). I'd say try to get a metal-backed sheeting and install it underneath the truck to reflect the heat away in the first place. I know Dynamat makes stuff like that, and I'm sure others do too.

Not to discourage you from doing the Line-X, cause it looks like really neat stuff....but I'm not sure the thermal benefits are the reason to do it. Do it for the durability and protection from rust, etc.

YMMV

-Greg72

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I stripped out my whole interior a couple of years back and Herculined it. There is a $20 off deal going right now on herc..so u ought to be able to get a 1 gallon kit for $70. You'll need more than that, but its a good price in any case. I will make a cheesy geocities page and put some pics up soon....off all the things I have done to my truck (vs paying someone else to do it) I think the herc/interior job I did turned out the best. =)

Line-X is very high quality and I wouldnt mind having it in my Jimmy....but I didnt want to pay the extra $$$$...and I can repair and herculiner probs myself. ;)

Jason

10. jekbrown

I stripped out my whole interior a couple of years back and Herculined it. There is a $20 off deal going right now on herc..so u ought to be able to get a 1 gallon kit for $70. You'll need more than that, but its a good price in any case. I will make a cheesy geocities page and put some pics up soon....off all the things I have done to my truck (vs paying someone else to do it) I think the herc/interior job I did turned out the best. =)

Line-X is very high quality and I wouldnt mind having it in my Jimmy....but I didnt want to pay the extra $$$$...and I can repair any herculiner probs myself. ;)

Jason

11. Chaz316

Chaz316 1/2 ton status

LineX is polyurethane, just like rhino lining. They both are sprayed in the same manner. Rhino is sprayed at low pressure and linex is sprayed at high pressure. Both are sprayed above the truck to mist the bed and add texture. I am under the impression that herc is the same type of material.

I am planning on herc'ing mine and then installing carpet. Mine has the factory rubber mat in it.

"If it aint broke don't fix it" is like a 4 letter word.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.phatboy.alloffroad.com>PhatBoy.AllOffRoad.com </a>

12. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

back in march, i herculined my truck, and havent regretted it yet. i love it, and found no down sides to it.

<a target="_blank" href=http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/>confederate9.coloradok5.com/</a>
    <font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>

13. jekbrown

There is one *small* downside...if you just use herc...and dont use some kind of top-coat (herc sells its own as "UV protector", but I'd think that most clear coats would work) then it will, over time, and exposed to UV, fade and become a VERY flat/dull black. Personally I like the look of Herc when you first put it on...kinda "shiny". At any rate, since I have had the top off this summer, the whole rear part of my truck has faded this way. The liner still does its job, just doesnt look as good (that is an opinion...others may WANT it to be flat!). I will prolly add another thin coat of herc and some kind of UV pro on top of that...when I find the time. ;)

J

14. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

Can you drill through your Line X to mount stuff, or will that just cause a possible rust spot?

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

15. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have some good pics on my site of the Rhino Lining done to my K5 a few months ago. Give it a look and let me know if you have any questions. The quick link if near the top of my page.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html>http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html</a>
    So I says to him, I said, "get your own monkey."
    1986 K5, 350 GM Crate, 700R4, NP208