Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New carrier and welded OR spool

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mtnman210, Jul 26, 2006.

1. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

On my Dana 60 I'm going to run 5.13's. In there now are 4.10's so along with the R/P I need a new carrier. My plan was to just weld up the spiders and call it done. But now I saw the prices on full spools. I'm thinking I should just get one of them instead of worrying about welding.

worth it to get the spool(cheaper??) or should I get the new carrier and then weld it up?

If I go the spool route any recomendations on whose to get or where to get it from.

2. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Wire and gas is cheaper than a spool and does the exact same thing.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

care to hear objections to running a spool or welded diff in the front?

4. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I know it's gonna put alot of stress on axles and all that and will be hard to steer..I'm going full hydro so I'm not too worried about steering. But I'll take objections anyways.

The only reason I wouldn't run the welded would be I've seen just glancing around that a new carrier is gonna run about 200 bucks and so is the spool. And wouldn't the spool be stronger and less likely to break than a welded one.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

No personal experience, but I know BillA from Pirate says even with a good Full Hydro setup, his steering sucked compared to his air locker. Personally gonna give a Lockright a try before I go spending the money. Its your call. Dana 60 spools are pretty cheap overall. I'd buy a spool and run that if you really want to do it, that way you aren't getting an open carrying and basically ruining the option of puting a lockright in it. get what I'm saying?

6. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I'd love to get a detroit or even an ARB but that's alot of money to throw into the truck. Especially for something that can get thrashed if I snap an axle. And the lockright hasn't really been a consideration because I'll be running 40in boggers and I tend to have a heavy right foot. I've heard alot about those breaking and that they really aren't meant for over a 35-36in tire

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I don't think anyone here has broken a lockright, maybe heard of one...