Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New CB install Pics + Need Help!!!

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by Big Blzn, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Big Blzn

Big Blzn 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Fellas: Here is my new Cobra 29 installed into my rig along with pics of the antenna mount I fabbed. Everything is great except it doesn't work. What I mean is that it turns on and the PA system I installed works but I get nothing. The meter's needle doesn't move at all. I moved the ground around several times and nothing. What is the proper way to test it? Do I have to do anything with the mic when testing? I hate when sh!t like this happens!! Please help because I know nothing about how CB's work. Here are the pics though. DSCN0426.JPG

DSCN0427.JPG

DSCN0428.JPG

DSCN0429.JPG

DSCN0426.JPG

DSCN0427.JPG

DSCN0428.JPG

DSCN0429.JPG

2. Big Blzn

Holy crap! Surely I haven't managed to piss everyone off to get no responses? Gimmie somethin'.

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I could walk you through verifying it is all set up and operating correctly.

Do you have a multimeter?
    SWR meter and RG jumper?

Neither is mandatory but they make it faster and easier. If you want I will get on the cell and call. Just let me know. It is too much typing and would take forever to cover all the bases.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

What kind/brand of antenna is that ? Why is it grounded like that ? Ground is for the threaded part below the bracket , a ring terminal , and the outer sheild/threaded part of coax would touch it .

5. Big Blzn

The antenna is a Wilson Flex-4 that a tech at Walcott CB recommended for my particular need/request. The way it is grounded is the second attempt. First I had sanded off all the paint to bare metal on the lip of the bed of the blazer and used a selftapper screw to attach to bed. Nothing seemed to work so I basically pinched the ring terminal between the alum. bracket and the mounting bolt for the bracket. The hole on the ring terminal for the ground is literally only about big enough to fit a bic pen through or maybe less. Looking at the ground there is no way it was made to attach to the antenna mount or any part of it directly. Any ideas? Readymix, if this doesn't get figured out in the next couple of days I'll PM you. By the way, I appreciate the offer.:D

6. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

cb

where in orange county are you? maybe i could stop by and take a look. I have the same cb. Mine worked fine before i swapped blazers now i just have not hooked it up yet.

7. Big Blzn

I live in Costa Mesa but I work out of San Juan Cap at United Rentals. I don't drive my blazer to work but possibly on the weekend if you have time. PM me if this is possible. Sh!t, just call my cell if you want 949 289-3243. Do you happen to run around with Steve Matthews. I know he has a crew of guys in your area that are into blazers as well that he runs around with. Let me know. I appreciate the help.

'Hoby

8. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

Did you follow the instructions that came with the radio? It appears your first knob is set in the SWR position, so I'm assuming you tried to check the SWRs? Do you have your RF gain turned all the way up? What did you tap into for a power source? When you key up the mic, does the antenna light come on? Does the RX/TX light change? Make sure both of your coax connections are tight, along with the microphone connection too. You didn't try to key up the radio without the antenna connected, did you?

9. dmanblazer

dmanblazer 1/2 ton status

On a 29 there is a switch that has three different functions, one is to calibrate your SWR meter the only time it swings is when you key the mic, the second one is to show you what your SWR's are after calibration ( less than 1.5 is good ) the other says S /RF that's the one you want to modulate on, it will swing when you get any traffic.

Suggestion calibrate and check your SWR's every day.

10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Those internal meters aren't very accurate at all . I'd get a stand alone meter . Preferably one that doesn't cost ten bucks . Decent ones start at about 25 bucks .

11. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

damn i must have fallen asleep after all these post. yes i know steve. he towed my blazer back from tds on his rig when i rolled it.LOL.. And the group that he knows is the so cal big dawgs.

by the way did you ever get this antenna thing figured out. Do you ever put your shell back on?

Jeff