Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New cell phone - wow $750 deposit

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TX Mudder, Sep 30, 2004.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I just piad a $750 deposit for a cell phone.

My credit is just that bad.

Oh well, when the contract is up it'll be like a payday.

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

WHAT? Are you serious......thats insane.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Think Pre-Paid.

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

holy crap couldve bought a new comp.

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

he could have hired someone with a cell phone to make his calls for him.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

geeezzzz......honestly dude, have you changed your ways (payment wise)? If not, you'll lose that money. As mentioned, a prepaid phone is probably best. YOU should be using any money to get secured credit cards to start rebuilding your credit.

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

7. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

your kiddin right? I had to make a minor deposit, but...$750-if you have that $ to put down, maybe you coulda paid an outstanding bill off and made calls from home /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I did $500 on my nextel for lack of credit but I am habitual with bills

9. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I have totally changed my ways. My bill will only be $39.99 a months for 1000 minutes w/rollover. I use less than that now.
    I HAVE to have a cell phone. I do not have to have a land line, so I do not have one nore have I had one for a few years.

This will be a positive (a small positive) on my credit report and no I will not forfeit my deposit. If I thought I had a snowball's chance in hell of losing it, I would not have done it.

I make pretty good money and am not hurting. It's just that I totally screwed up my credit years ago and I'm sitll recovering.

But yeah, $750 deposit on a cell phone. My house deposit was only $895.

10. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Think Pre-Paid.

[/ QUOTE ]

I looked at them, but $100 for 600 minutes for prepaid? Or $40 for 1000 minutes w/rollover? Plus the free phone was nicer on the $40 plan than the prepaid (obviously.)

When I was considering whether or not to sign up, I was told y other people to do prepaid, but it just doesn't make sense to pay more for less.

My contract is 2 years. I wonder if I get my money back after 1 year or after two? Anyone know with cingular?

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would absolutely not pay a deposit to have a phone.

12. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

My credit is just that bad.

Oh well, when the contract is up it'll be like a payday.

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll put my money on that being Cingular... am I right? Only reason I think that is because every time I try to get a phone from them they want a $750 deposit. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif Hell I justed wanted a phone, I wasn't trying to buy the company. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

13. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Don't accidentally forget to make a payment, many cell companies will keep the deposit if you have been late on paying the bill.

14. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

secured credit card ? whjat is that exactly ?

i went ot get a cell phone and they wanted 500 or more from me too, my credit is absolutely trashed, years of non payment on a couple cards i borrowed from, i have had no employment for over two years so no way to make payments on them and minimum payments are over 300 now on them, i am thousands n the hole nowadays, and not any way at all to pay on them, the debts are growing and growing, im screwed, ill be in serious debt for all my life, im ruined at age 26, will never have anything, no house no car worth more than a couple hundred bucks, no wife no kids no teeth no education no anything, my health will go one of these days and i hope i die quick

i hope im gone before im 30,

credit of any kind is evil and i have to say do not use credit, ever, i learned the hard way and its too late for me, my life is already over, ruined, never will have one now,

good luck

15. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    im ruined at age 26, will never have anything, no house no car worth more than a couple hundred bucks, no wife no kids no teeth no education no anything, my health will go one of these days and i hope i die quick

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez, I never thought I'd feel good about some of the things I consider totally crappy in my life...

What you're missing is that you're 26, and you have plenty of years to get out of the hole you're in. No wife, no kids is great for a person in your shoes, you have no emcuberences to picking up and going wehre you can improve your life, or even staying where you are and busting your arse as hard as possible to get out of it. Wasn't there just a thread about credit? It takes 7 years to fall off your credit report, so starting fixing it and maybe you'll have solid credit again when you're 35.

Where's Backcountry's chatter when you need it?

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

He just needs work ethics and he'd be just fine. He's a bum, there's lots of them in this world. If you don't want to work, you'll never amount to anything.

17. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

secured credit cards basically is you give the bank issueing the card a check for the credit limit. (in case you screw the payments they do not lost money) If you make all payments and have no problems your credit rating improves.

18. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    secured credit cards basically is you give the bank issueing the card a check for the credit limit. (in case you screw the payments they do not lost money) If you make all payments and have no problems your credit rating improves.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are several banks that offer this, I'd recommend Capital One since they are big. Several others though and in a year you'll see big rating improvements...get about two or three secured cards and pay on time. Use them for things like gas ONLY so you can pay off every month.

19. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    my credit is absolutely trashed, years of non payment on a couple cards i borrowed from, i have had no employment for over two years so no way to make payments on them and minimum payments are over 300 now on them, i am thousands n the hole nowadays, and not any way at all to pay on them, the debts are growing and growing, im screwed, ill be in serious debt for all my life, im ruined at age 26

[/ QUOTE ]

dude if you dont own the property your on, why dont you just file for absolute bankrupsy and start at ground zero instead of letting it build? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

20. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

there is no phone, or need of a phone worth a $750 deposit on a 2 year contract... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif