Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new chevrolet first truck

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 68MUDSTUD, Jul 8, 2006.

1. 68MUDSTUD

68MUDSTUD OCD with shiny things

ok guys, yes, i am 18 years old and do not have a truck that runs or drives, and im looking for one. i need something to get me to laramie wy and back here to Colstrip MT, so it needs to be dependable. what would you do if you were me, its got to be shortbox 4wd...

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

what do you need to do with it? just make the road trip, haul stuff, tow anything? a yota will run forever

3. 68MUDSTUD

its GOT to be a half ton Chevrolet... i have had bad luck with imported crap

4. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

why 1/2 ton?

5. 68MUDSTUD

personal preferance i guess... no reason to have a 3/4 ton. i dont really want to miodify this one... YET haha

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Toyota is pretty damn dependable............................

7. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Sounds like you already made up your mind on a domestic 1/2 ton 4x4 shortbed.

8. 68MUDSTUD

i mean like what year, what engine, 5.3? heard the g-80 rearend was no good?

9. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Gov-locks... never had them in my truck. AFAIK they're OK as long as you aren't wheeling with them.

The 350 is a hand-down choice over a 305. 6.2 is a decent engine as well.

Does the year really matter? They started TBI in 87 IIRC. TBI will be great if you're going through drastic altitude changes.

10. 68MUDSTUD

well, i think theres only about 500-1000 ft difference... i was thinking about a 97-02... what do you guys thinik? 5spd? or auto? extended cab or regular?

11. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I say extended cab. If you get a 1/2 ton, remember that the auto's aren't the strongest....and don't last that long towing. If you can find one with a stick.....that would be fun....but you'll probably end up with an auto.

In teh 1/2 ton, they offered the 4.8 and the 5.3 99 and newer in teh 1/2 ton.

97-98, you'd be getting the 5.7

If you can swing it...get a 99+.....they are a lot nicer for what you seem to want it for.

12. 68MUDSTUD

yeah, but having a "nice truck isnt always the most dependable, so i really dont care about that, i need longevity...dependability... you know. thanks

13. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

then dont buy a chevy.

14. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

people need to stop thinking in the past and need to realize that gm today is not the gm of yesterday...we have 6 gms in the driveway that have nothing wrong with them...four are chevies

and yea the 99-up trucks are really nice and have some power in them. i drove my grandfathers 01 silverado and didnt realize i was spinnng tires...

15. 68MUDSTUD

if i ever buy anything but a chevrolet or gmc, or willys, shoot me please

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

For the price of that 97 to 02, you can get a nice 69 to 91 Full size blazer and beef it up. I personally prefer the 69 to 72 and the 89 to 91 K5's myself. Not hard too find one that will be dependable.

17. 68MUDSTUD

yeah i know, i kinda have the same feelings about that... the deal is, the older you go, you dont know how bad its been raped... there is more of a chance the older it is... i want an unmolested truck you know, just a decent rig to get me where i wanna go, somethin i dont have to work on... just do basic maintenence.i guess my first truck kinda made me paranoid, because it would quit, and i couldnt figure out why... so i rarely ever took it out of the yard, since i live in the country. that was AS i was getting into trucks and wrenchin and being greasy... i guess i just want something that i KNOW will be correct. maybe im just too paranoid? as MTChevy says anyway...:D :confused: :D

18. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

doesn't sound like you should be so tied to a brand. There are a host of better choices for what you're describing.

sounds like you need a DD. something with a goof MPG rating, and a little 4x4 for fun on the weekend.

you need a toyota w/ a solid 22re under the hood and a 5 speed.

just remember, brand loyalty is great .... but paying gas on a 10mpg 1/2ton is silly.

19. thfonz98

thfonz98 1/2 ton status

22re:thumb::thumb::thumb:

from personal experience, after 240000+ miles and still running great(nothing major done on it, just typical maintainance). Its just my hauler now(its the MOST basic version of the truck they had unfortunately, power nothing) as i drive the 91 k5(176k with only major thing being its 2nd 4l60/700r4 tranny and running great!). The yota has been in one minor wreck.

20. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Well, I'm a big fan of the K5. Anyways, I see bone stock K5's up for sale alot. Just because a truck is older doesn't mean it's been abused. Heck, I bought a 76 K5 about 4 or 5 years ago that was about as factory stock as you can get. Ran great, only needed a battery. Outlawtorn now owns that one.