Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new chevy duramax or Dodge?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by sandracer0004, Feb 19, 2004.

1. sandracer0004

sandracer0004 1/2 ton status

which ones better? i am sellin my burb to get a new truck to tow my trailer with and im doing research on which is better, looking at an 04 hd, or an 04 dodge.3/4 ton diesel 4x4 is what im lookin at?

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Cummins. I would hold out for a little while if you could, the 600 comes out shortly /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

The '04 Chevs have 590ft/lbs, thats just 10 under the Dodge. I have driven a stock chevy, and it moves, everyone I know loves theirs. I know my buddy traded his Cummins for a Duramax, and is going to buy another one!

4. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Go Cummins, they have their peak torque at a lower RPM which is much better for towing and the motor will last much longer.

5. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Was just reading an article today saying that the 600ft/lb was at 1800rpms and they will have a 7yr/100,000 mile warranty with a 350,000mile suggested time between motor rebuilds /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Check out this months issue of 4WOR. They have a pic of the new Cummins 600 pulling one of those bigass dumptrucks around(don't know if it's real or not, but it looks cool) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Keep in mind the DMAX was changed in December 03 to the new LLY. The old one is LB7. The LLY not only has more power, but a new variable vane turbo which has more efficient boost at all engine loads (fast spool when you stomp it, and more flow for long hills) . Also there is now an integrated exhaust brake and high idle control which is lacking on the Powerstroke and Cummins. In addition you can now remove injectors without taking off valve covers. The PCM and Allison have also been upgraded for the LLY. The DMAX was good before, but now it's awesome.
    Make sure the 7th digit in the VIN is a 2 instead of a 1 for the LLY /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    happy hunting.
    Jeff /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. K5MONSTERCHEV

[ QUOTE ]
    and the motor will last much longer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you cant say that because the Duramax hasnt been out that long, so you dont know exactly how long it does last. GM also has a 100k mile powertrain warranty.

9. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I'm a GM fan, but in this case I'd look at the Cummins 600 series, if you don't need a true crewcab.

Do a little search on the TDR about the new "600 series". They made a lot of changes from the older HO with 555lb/ft TQ. Fewer parts, 50 state legal, no EGR. Plus, IIRC, it calls for a 15,000 oil change intervals. Peak HP is about 3100 so it does rev out some.

I don't think the LLY dmax is available in a manual trans either. From the articles I've seen the CTD is the only one of the three that can do a zero throttle launch when loaded, dmax and PSD want to stall.

I seen some pics of both engines on display. The CTD looks a lot less complicated.

10. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Auto I'd get the D/A, for a 6-speed truck it'd be a toss up, as a chevy guy I'd probably lean toward the Chevy as a complete truck. Engine wise I'd rather have the Cummins. BTW, beginning Late '04 Chevy is going to produce a SRW 3500.

11. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

All the big 3 make excellent trucks. All 3 diesels are above 300 hp and 520 trq now. Slap on an aftermarket electronic box, and you've got yourself an axtra 100 + hp in no time. I think it all just comes down to personal preference.

Since a new truck costs over 35 grand, I'll never know!

For 35 grand, I could buy 3 late model diesel trucks that are still like new!

For 35 grand, I could buy 10 older model 6.2L/6.5L trucks to play with.

For 35 grand, I could buy 30 diesel beaters to hit the trails with!

I think I'll stick with the used merchandise.

Casey

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    All the big 3 make excellent trucks. All 3 diesels are above 300 hp and 520 trq now. Slap on an aftermarket electronic box, and you've got yourself an axtra 100 + hp in no time. I think it all just comes down to personal preference.

Casey

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen brotha.
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

Casey

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a big 10-4.

Something you forgot to mention...you can repair it yourself (if you ever have to) and you don't have to take it to the dealer to have the computer read and 4 billion sensors replaced! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

But if you just have to buy new...get the DMax. Nuthin more to say!!

14. BlueBlazer

One thing I find interesting is that the Cummins 5.9 is used in trucks all the way up to a 33,000 lb GVWR while the Duramax's biggest application is a 26,000 lg gvwr. Above that it appears that they use the inline six 7800 Duramax. Take this how you want, but I think that says a lot about the Cummins in terms of power and abuse it can take. As far as the quality of the trucks go, I think all the Big 3 put out a great product with certain weaknesses here and there, but if the basis of your purchase is bases solely on the engine, the Cummins is really the best choice and anybody who doesnt think so hasnt really researched which one is best. I have rebuilt two 5.9s and partially tore apart a Duramax and have inspected the critical parts and I conclude from that the the Cummins is the clear winner.

15. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

My dad had old detriot 6v92's and 8v71's in our old Freightliners and the funny thing is that those old motors only made around 550 to 600 Ftlbs of torque and were dragging around 80,000GVW. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif I would go with the cummins because it has the stoutest internal parts out of the group of motors and can handle some serious power! The thing that really catches my eye about the cummins motor is that it's the only diesel that is an inline 6 in a light pick up...just like the larger motors that are in our semi trucks nowadays. Almost all of semis today run inline 6's like the M11, N14, cat c-10, c12, c15, Detroit 60 series, etc. etc.

If Chevy would get their act together and put a D60 back in the front and a small inline 6 cat motor instead of the izuzumax that is similar to the cummins in CI and power than they would probably have a majority of the market, I know I would put a crew cab long bed on order right away with a cat and D60! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

16. K5MONSTERCHEV

[ QUOTE ]

If Chevy would get their act together and put a D60 back in the front and a small inline 6 cat motor instead of the izuzumax

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your asking for A LOT! But that would be awesome!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

If Chevy would get their act together and put a D60 back in the front and a small inline 6 cat motor instead of the izuzumax

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your asking for A LOT! But that would be awesome!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Oh yeah and we know it to that there will probably never be a strait axle under a new chevy again but oh well, I would still put one on order if they started putting cats in them IFS or not.

18. BlueBlazer

Cat tried puttin 3116s and 3126s in each of the Big 3s trucks long before I worked there. Each company didnt like the extra weight and cost of the Cat engine. I can pretty confidently say that there will never be a Cat in a light duty pickup unless maybe Cummins went out of business or something very extreme like that. Kinda sucks, but thats the way it goes.

19. rjfguitar

How about a detroit motor? Didn't GM own Detriot at some point? They built the 6.2 and 6.5 if I remember correctly. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif International built the powerstrokes. Once again IFAIK

20. BlueBlazer

Detroit doesnt make anything in the 5.6-7.5 liter range.