Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Chevy p/u question - rearends

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Emmettology 101, Nov 1, 2000.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

What reaends come in the new fullsize Gm p/u with the rear disc brakes? They offer rear discs on 1/2 ton p/us and blazers/yukons correct???

What rearends are they using on the disc brake equipped trucks?

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

On the 1/2 tons they are still using 10-bolts but the ring and pinion is a tad bigger, not sure on the size now, something like 8-3/4. Someone else may know the exact size.

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I wander if itis the 8.875" carrier like the 12 bolt?

I was thinking of trying to use the factory rear disc rotors for my 12 bolt. I saw a pic once of the new models rear discs and they look like they just slide on the lugs, that would be easy for a rear disc swap if everything will line up ok!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I'm not 100% sure, but from what I have read the rear axle is a 10-bolt with a 8.6" (versus 8.5") ring gear diameter and a supposedly improved gov-lok.

5. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I can imagine that trying to source disk brake parts from a new 2000 truck will far exceed the cost of a complete TSM rear disk brake kit.

ken

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, but if you can find one of these trucks wrecked (like I saw on a flatbed wrecker yesterday), you might be able to get a NEW rear, with discs, for a good price. Hmmmmm...

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!