Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Chevy Products!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Scott Ellinger, Oct 10, 2000.

1. Scott Ellinger

Scott Ellinger Registered Member

This may be pushing the ad/content envelope some, but us nutcase 'wheelers over at Rockstomper are finally into Chevy's. Got Rock Rods?
    [​IMG]
    Left to right: Rock Rod, stock Chevy tie rod, stock Ford tie rod. http://www.rockstomper.com/catalog/armor/steering.htm
    We're also doing rockslider nerf bars:
    [​IMG] but they're so new, we haven't even got them linked to any of our pages yet. Apologies if this is too advertising-ish; holler and I'll gladly delete it.

--scott
    http://www.rockstomper.com

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Tie rods look terrific............but am I seeing the "nerf bars" (sorry, that was the thought that came to mind) correctly? Is it gusseted to the frame or is it actually mounted to the lip/flange of the rocker panel only? If so, wouldn't that get mangled? Please take no offense to this, just wondering.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>http:// www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

3. Scott Ellinger

The nerfs are mounted to the frame in two points on each side, and primarily to the pinch weld on the body. That way, they distribute the load of big rock hits, along about four feet of steel, instead of a couple of points on the frame (as we all know, Chevy frames are *flexy!*) so you get a better support that way. The frame ties keep the bar from twisting and mangling the rockers.

So far, increased noise and harsher ride, are nonexistant. Might be an issue on some newer trucks, though; I did a set of these on a 2000 Jeep TJ and they were noisy till we stuck a couple rubber washers in. I think it was mostly the unique-to-a-TJ mounting setup though.

--scott

4. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Why don't you use SRE? HAHA Scott just kidding. I didn't know some people are so thick headed. Are you Coby's friend? Will talk later.

Donovan

5. Scott Ellinger

Hey, Donovan, do we really have to go there? Heheheheh...
    Yep, I'm Coby's friend and shop-space donor. He's the reason I started making Rock Rods at all. Freakin' beefmeisters.... :)

--scott

6. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Say hi to Coby for me. How is his arm coming? I have not talk to him in a couple weeks. Will talk later.

Donovan

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

BEEFY! I like!
    Let me point out something. The rod on Right is simular to the Rods used on the 80 and older trucks (and possibly newer) in that they ran a solid rod like that with one end cast as part of it. They went to the middle tubular to save cost because they could thread in the same end they were using on the drag link. That saved money because they could use Tube for the tie rod instead of the cast rod end that was 40 inches long with the end being part of it and costing $90 bucks to the customer. Some of the old D44's (like the one on my 75) had a drop down tie rod for clearence on the springs. The arm off the knuckle was located higher and a straight rod like yours may have clearence problems. My 79 (10 bolt) has the long rod like the 75 but not drop down and it is also installed from the bottom so it hangs even lower. Now the solid rod has a flaw in that there is a flat area with a hole for the steering dampner to bolt on. Thats where those usualy bend. How are you attaching the dampner on your rods? If I pretzle mine I may be interest in one of yours if I can retro fit my dampner. What are you going to charge for it and what brand ends are you using?

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Hey Scott!

This is Mike Longley from the Off-Road Mailing List! Good to see you gettin into Chevy stuff!!!

When will you have info and prices up one your page about the rock sliders?

thanks

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

9. Scott Ellinger

Donovan, Coby's arms are coming along slowly, still working on the lockable one, and having some troubles. The old style bolt-clamp works great.

Grim Reaper, assuming you swap to the '85 style ends, to my knowledge, this should fit all fullsize Dana and GM Corporate axles. I don't know for 100% sure.

I'm not supplying ends at all; you can get what you prefer, locally (Autozone sells the stock '85 style ends for about $20-30 apiece, with a lifetime warranty, around here) for cheaper than if I go get 'em, box 'em, ship 'em, etc. I've never seen the "drop down tie rod" that you mentioned, so I'll have to take your word for it. It won't fit if a bent tie rod is needed (although I can bend it if need be for clearance, but I'd need a stock rod to pattern it after)

The steering dampener is bolted into the existing dampener hole in the '85 end. If that hole won't work, or a different setup is needed, I can probably supply something to bolt a stabilizer to. After I bent a steering setup courtesy of a stabilizer, and a buddy smashed his stabilizers to the point that he couldn't steer, I've personally just stopped using them on my stuff, even with bias Swampers.

Price tag is $75; includes shipping (October promo deal) but not ends.

And Mike, I'm so far behind on my website, it's sad. I'm trying to update it, but keep spending all my time making parts instead. The only guarantee I can make on that is that it'll be updated in November; that's when I'm leaving my job and running Rockstomper full time.

--scott

10. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

The stock 85 GM tie rod ends will work but one has a hole in it for the stabilizer (ES2233L). I have to weld new brackets on the tie rod for my new Rock Ram so I'll be using a different end but it will make the entire tie rod length shorter. Here's the ends I'm using:

TRW, Autozone, or Moog part #'s

No stab. Hole:
    ES2010L (left side)
    ES2234R (Right side)

Here's the ends which are for factory mid 80's GM but the left side has a hole for the stab. and is longer:
    ES2233L (left side)
    ES22334R (Right side)

All ends have 7/8" thread and are R and L hand thread.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hmm, I too have the rod with no hole. It's just a single bar with tierod ends.I am very interested in 'beefing' up mine sence I have bent the stock on twice allready.
    Any 72 models/customers yet????
    PS I emailed you too, Scott

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

12. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

13. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

AGR steering makes the Rock Ram. It's just their name for a hydraulic ram. It replaces your existing stabilizer with a ram and assists your mechanical draglink. The custom AGR steering box has two ports that come out that go to the ram.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

14. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Don't let Shawn fool you, I have 4wheeled with him before and the way he drives, his Blazer is a rock ram, or should I say tree ram. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

15. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Scott, what kind of trouble is Coby having? Let me know or have him call me and maybe we can come up with something. 303-431-9819.

Donovan