Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"NEW" Chevy purchase......check out the pic!! ... and answer a few Q's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, May 30, 2004.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

\"NEW\" Chevy purchase......check out the pic!! ... and answer a few Q\'s

Who says that owning old Chevrolets isn't a disease!!!???? /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[​IMG]

Isn't she a beaut???!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif You're looking at a 1964 Chevy C60.

OK, so most of you are probably wondering "WHY"??? Well, for starters....my wife and I are finally moving from California to the East Coast, and we are going to need a "U-Haul" type vehicle to get there. I started pricing out a 1-way rental and quickly realized that it would be a LOT cheaper to simply BUY this vehicle and use it for the move. I might even decide to sell it once I get where I'm going and probably get all my money back out of it.... It just seemed to make sense to me.

Anyway, being a vintage Chevy, it's familiar to me in a lot of ways but really unfamiliar in others. Here are a few "headscratchers" that I hope you guys can help with:

1. Gearbox - It's a 5-speed manual from a company called Clark. The actual part number is 265V. It has two PTOs on it, which is pretty cool, but it needs a clutch, so finding a good parts source will be step 1. The truck won't drive without one.

2. Two-Speed rear axle. The owner now claims it's only a single speed, but the VIN tag describes it as having two ratios (?)6.40 & 8.72 There is a vaccuum canister near the pinion which I believe is how the gear selection is controlled. I also thought there would be an additional lever or button on the floor shifter, but theres no apparent way to actuate that vaccuum port??

3. Engine - Owner claimed that it was a 327 (which was one of the engines offered) but the valve covers, and equally spaced exhaust ports are saying "BIG BLOCK"!!! to me..... Nice score, so maybe that makes it a 396/402? In either case, it purrs like a kitten. The whole truck only has 50,000 original miles on it, and from the papertrail this truck has, the motor has never been replaced.

SHOP MANUAL: This is what I was planning to buy....

[​IMG]

From the preliminary research I've done, the 1963 manual contains the majority of the service information, and 1964 only had a year-specific "supplemental" manual issued. I was planning on buying 1963 & 1964 to have a complete set of books to start sorting this truck out. Does anyone know if this book will cover the heavier trucks like the C60?

My 1972 Truck Shop Manual only covers the C10, C20 & C30. I'd like to make sure I'm getting the right stuff before I go and blow around $80 for books!!! /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

There's lots more to tell, but I guess I'll wait to see if anyone cares about this post before I post up more pics and write a whole lot more. I would definitely like some help from those folks who are "in-the-know" on these bigger rigs...

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Re: \"NEW\" Chevy purchase......check out the pic!! ... and answer a few Q\'s

Nice rig /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

On the manual bits, when I was searching for a factory manual for my 75 burb, I did see some big rigs manuals that covered the C60's and there abouts on ebay. The C10 - 30 books don't cover them, so anything above a 1ton are in there own set of books, but they do exist /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

hummm sold axle swap mabey 8" springs 4 body 48s and some off road lights it would do good off road /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    why/where you moveing? hopr your keeping your kick ass trucks with you

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

On the parts and information on where to get parts, talk to Kennyw, that man has a wealth of info on the early 60's vintage of rigs that you wouldn't believe and he knows of little hole in the wall places on the net that carries parts that you would never think of /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Looks like you'd fit right in with a circus or carnival that's travelling cross country. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Can't help much on the engine, since they did some really odd stuff in those days. Perhaps its one of the big block 366 engines? I know they used those in heavy trucks, but I'm not sure on the time frame.

MANY years ago I drove an old dump truck that had a 2-speed rear axle. It had a red button/switch attached to the shift lever to shift it between ranges.

Oh yeah, the tranny... Clark made a zillion different 5-speed transmissions and had a very wide selection of gear ratios available. You'll find them in most old school buses as well as trucks like yours. I don't think that any of them have an overdrive gear though. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif To get parts for one you must have the info from the ID tag on the tranny, simply because they made so many variations.

Good luck on the move! And be sure to pack your tools near the tailgate, where they'll be easily available should that old girl need a bit of help making it cross country. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If you're planning to move during the summer, I would pull the radiator and have it rodded and boiled. No telling how old it is, or how clogged up. Pulling long mountain passes in the middle of nowhere is NOT where you want to have to call for a tow truck. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif If you come across on I-80, you'll have to make it over the Sierras and then it's pretty smooth sailing until you get to Salt Lake City. Right as you leave SLC you'll have to climb Parley's Canyon, which will make just about any rig beg for mercy. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Just head for the right lane and leave the flashers on... There are more climbs after that, but none as long and steep. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

6. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Good luck with the move Greg.

I got plenty of room in my parking lot here at my house for a pit stop or repairs.

That offroad park should be open by then time you make it to New Hampshire. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Greg72

Harry,

Good call about keeping the tools close to the rear!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I already thought of that one....

The tranny had a few casting numbers on the drivers side...

A-AO-ER
    N

I have NO idea if that's even the relevant stuff... I didn't see an attached plate like I'm familiar with on NP203 or NP205s. I know that the entire tranny was swapped out at one point, so I probably shouldn't assume that it's a CL265V....

Rear axle had a code of "C15" on the vin plate. I couldn't find anything in my RPO codes that matched....usually axle related stuff is in the "G"s.

The radiator was showing signs of leaking. It's been replaced once already, but your point is well taken.... I was planning to have it checked out and repaired BEFORE leaving on the 3100 mile trip. My buddy suggested that replacing the water pump was probably cheap insurance also.

I'm a little disappointed to see how many wire splices there are under the dash and in the engine compartment. The service records indicate a history of electrical gremlins (bad grounds, bad connections, etc). At some point in it's life it had a really CHEESY alarm system installed with those ungodly crimp-on wire taps (I hate those things!) I'm willing to bet that if I rip out that alarm and clean up the wiring I'll improve it's reliability by around 1000%. Fortunately on these old trucks, the wiring harness is really simplistic so even if I can't find a replacement harness, I can make my own without much trouble.....

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

One of the other nice things about this truck is that it's about 7'6" across the inside of the storage box, and over 8'6" tall. I am planning to drive my car right inside it, and save another $1500 by not having to pay for a car transport!!!

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Greg,

How do you feel about it's reliability to make it 3100 miles? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I wonder if there is a way to hook the vaccum canister up to a known good vaccum source and see if it shifts the rear axle. Don't know squat about it just thinking in type.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The big block truck engines could be either the 366 or 427, both were tall deck motors specific to the medium duty trucks.

Some Clarks did get an overdrive, but those would be the VO designation IIRC. I imagine the input size and spline would be similar across the range of tranny's though.

Here is a decent link:

http://cjford.stormloader.com/Tech/mantransinfo1.htm

"Clark 265V, 7.58, 4.38, 2.40, 1.48, 1.00 7.51 (reverse) Cast iron case"

Rene

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Are you sure that engine isn't a 366 truck engine? I don't think you'd find a 396/402 in a big truck like that. Not enough stroke to make the torque necessary to pull that big thing.

As to the clutch it should be the same as a pickup. I can't imagine that it'd have anything but your standard 12" clutch. Once you get it apart and pull the flywheel off any counterman should be able to find you a clutch for it.

12. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    Greg,

How do you feel about it's reliability to make it 3100 miles? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

We'll have to wait and see won't we....?

"You aren't truly having an adventure unless the outcome is uncertain!!!" /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

In all seriousness... one of the things I like about this truck is that it's pretty simple. Big block motor, manual tranny, a fuseblock with only about 6 circuits, etc. Sure, there's risk associated with anything this old but I plan to go through the whole thing and do all the fluid changes, tune up stuff, and deal with anything that doesn't look "ready" for the trip.

After that, I'll leave my fate in the hands of the "Gods of Adventure" and hope for the best....... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

13. tRustyK5

14. Greg72

Rene,

I'm picking up some info in "real time" here as I "Google" my way around.

The tranny is definitely a Clark 267V, not the V0 (which would be the overdrive unit)

The engine would have to be either a 348 or 409 Cu In....those are the only two big block engines offered on this vehicle. I have no idea if these are considered "good" or "desireable" engines, but it sure had a sweet, mellow and even idle when we ran it. According to the specs....a 348 had a gross torque rating of 325 Lb/Ft, and the 409 was rated at 352 Lb/Ft.

I found more axle data too: The "C15" designator is probably indicating that it's a 15,000 Lb axle, a 17,000 Lb axle was also offered. I was able to confirm that in fact, the two ratios in the axle would be 6.40:1, and 8.72:1

(That means a crawl ratio of 52.84 in the lowest range!!!) Better than my K5... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

15. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Thats one big truck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

As for the manual, theres a few guys at the swap meet, at the Goodguys in Pleasnton, they might have some of the harder manuals to find, like the one for your C 60.

I remember seeing one at school for a Heavier Duty truck like that, but cant remember exactly what model.

16. tRustyK5

The 348 and 409 would have some very distinctive valve covers Greg...they look nothing like the newer BBC's. If it looks like a newer big block it probably is.

[​IMG]

Rene

17. Greg72

Here's an engine pic..... nice oilbath aircleaner, eh?

[​IMG]

18. tRustyK5

That's not a 348 or 409...

Definitely a 366 or 427 though, I guess someone upgraded at some point.

Rene

19. tRustyK5

[​IMG]

Rene

20. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Definitely swapped in. Vettes and SS's got the big blocks first , starting 1965. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif