Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEW clutch. need tips!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlaKK54Speed, Jan 18, 2007.

1. BlaKK54Speed

BlaKK54Speed 1/2 ton status

so im putting a new clutch in my k5, sm465 and 208. i dropped the driveshafts, dropped the oil pan (needs new gaskets), i have the tranny on a jack and lowered a few inches and about 4 inches back, the top of the trans is hitting the tranny hump and the bottom is touching the factory y pipe for the exhaust. i have the tranny disconnected from the bell housing and the housing is loose from the block. its just being a real pain. i had to take the dist. cap off cause it was getting mashed into the firewall. anyone have any tips for me. i think i am gonna have to get the y pipe down so that i can get the tranny off enough to get the bell housing off and change the clutch.

should i put the bell housing back on the trans then into the motor?

should i put the oil pan on first or the trans back up?

i have done a clutch on a ford ranger before but never this big of a truck, so i do have a little exp.

2. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

I am not 100% sure what the best way is, or what everybody else does, but I yank the tranny transfer case combo, replace the clutch, and put the tranny transfer case back in. With that said, it is NOT a one person job unless you have a jack with some type of tranny mount to bolt the drivetrain to. That mother is HEAVY.

Yes, you will need to get teh exhaust out of the way, with this approach.

Why is your engine moving so much that you are smashing the distributor? Did you undo the engine mounts?

3. BlaKK54Speed

its just leaning back, just enough for the dist. cap to touch the firewall a litttle bit. i know this is not good, thats why im lookin for tips.ill have to get the exhaust out of the way

4. BlaKK54Speed

i have a tranny jack under it

5. noahrob

Is the transfer case still married to the tranny? Is the tranny cross brace still attached? Is the input shaft still running through the clutch plate?

A) You gotta get the tanny back far enough (the shaft is about 10-12 inches long:D ) to get the clutch out, which requires you to get the ratchet or wrench in there to unbolt the spring pack from the Flywheel.

B) I think that the tranny and transfer case are HEAVY so it is worth it to me to get it away from where it can drop on me, especially since I dropped the TH400 (no, I wasn't changing the clutch ha ha ha) so have a history of getting hurt.

C) Once you get the old clutch off and the new one on (using the centering tool of course), you gotta manhandle that tranny and transfer case to get the shaft through the clutch and lined up with the pilot bushing.

If you already know all this, please just disregard, I am just trying to help. Here is a picture to help orient us so we are talking the same language. You can see the tranny shaft of course, but also the cross memeber...

Picture 009.jpg

6. BlaKK54Speed

the tranny and transfer case are still together, tranny shaft is still through the clutch pack. i will have to move the exhaust so i can bring it back further. can you put that pic up again i cant look at it cause its a link. im not a paying member,thanks though

7. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

i took the engine out to change mine. well i was doing an engine swap and thought what the heck might as well do it know then later down the road

8. BlaKK54Speed

my 305 is pretty tired, but i dont have the money right now to put in something diff so it will have to work for now

9. noahrob

Pay Up...:D

Shoot me a PM or an e-mail and I will send you the pic...

10. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

You've unbolted the tranny hump, right? ;)

11. BlaKK54Speed

its done!!!! took all of 2 days but i got it in and its running great.wow. i left the tranny hump in. i didnt see any bolts or anything for it it just looked like it was glued on with seam sealer so i left it there. i got really lucky guys i put the clutch in place without the alignment tool, went in on the first try!!!! hahaha. i also pulled off all the egr stuff ill get some pics up so that you can see the diff. wow it feels like a new truck!!!!