Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New coil over tech article

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, Jul 4, 2001.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

We have a new tech article up by Steve Frisbie in the tech section, thanks again Steve.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Ok, I read the article right after you posted it which was 4 am here and I have one ? on it. How much would something like that cost to make and how much is a bolt on swap. It looks like a good mod for the future.

<font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Ok, I read the article right after you posted it which was 4 am here and I have one ? on it. How much would something like that cost to make and how much is a bolt on swap. It looks like a good mod for the future.

<font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>

4. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

I have about $3000.00 invested plus a lot of man hours in the design and fabrication.

<font color=yellow>Steve Frisbie</font color=yellow>

5. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

steve, that is quite an impressive article.
    *are there many differences form your design and watson's?
    *what would the designs and a detailed parts list cost?
    *how much of it would you duplicate?
    *is it necessary to custom fab both crossmembers?
    thanks,
    MTPockets
    i know i shouldnt, but why not...

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://coloradok5.com/moneypit.shtml>http://coloradok5.com/moneypit.shtml</A>

6. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Steve more questions for you. Do you think that you could go with larger tires without hitting the top link? What is the link width at the frame. I know that the frame is 34" wide, your looks like from center of the rodend to center would be around 36-37". Also are these links parallel to each other or do they taper out at the axle. What size rims do you have and back spacing? Thanks

Donovan
    Bigger is Better

7. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

I'll try to answer most of your questions;
    1. I haven't seen Stephen Watson's truck yet, but I know he is using the same coilovers with different spring weights. He also put the two outside links on the bottom. So far that is all I know, he would be a better source of information on his setup.
    2.Each truck due to different tranny and tcase options makes each setup a little bit different. I would be willing to duplicate the entire suspension, but would perfer to have the truck and do it all. There is an extensive amount of welding on the front axle and those brackets are not exactly bolt on. The frame brackets, coil towers all index off existing bolt holes in the frame and take very little time to install once all the existing brackets are removed. The parts are all cut out on a computerized plasma cutter and can be duplicated easily.
    3. The engine crossemember gets in the way of the steering due to the large amount of travel. I also built a new engine crossmember to strengthen and support the bottom of the shock towers and prevent frame flex. The rear crossmember had to be modified due to the doubler setup to allow the drive shaft a place to go through and be stiff enough to handle the torque of the center link. Without a doubler a stock crossmember would not have to be modified. The link mount could be bolted on and angle trussed back to the frame rails.

I hope this is what you were looking for in the way of answers.

8. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

I am running the 37 x 13 x 15 Boggers on stock aluminum wheels that have Champion Beadlocks installed. I am not sure of the offset. This combination will barely rub the upper links at full turn, just enough to rub the paint off. The links are mounted just on the outside of the frame rails and angle out to the outside of the spring perches. Each side angles out about 2 inches. Larger tires would be possible by moving the links in couple of inches. Another problem arises with larger tires. The driver's side tire can come in contact with the steering box. I built the suspension to work well with a 36 or 37 inch tire setup, anything is possible with a lot of thought and trial and error.