Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Combo: Topless, muddin, and stuck

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by OFFRDK5, Jun 19, 2001.

1. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well. Went out yesterday after taking the top off and asked some 4x4s in the area where there was some mud. I wanted to get it dirty and take some pics of it topless. He took me to this one place. It was bone dry. I wanted to get to the hill on the other side of this creek bed. Lets say...it looked dry. At the bottom of the creek bed it was a pit. He said that he went through it all the time in his S10 with no problem while it was raining. I figured I could do it. Hrm...what was the weight ratings on a K5? All I know is I got in the middle and I just sunk!! High centered on the frame!! I dug and dug trying to stay away from chains. Well..his S10 gave up. We had to go into town and get a friends K30 that was loaded to the hilt. 2 chains doubled. Would not come out. Finally we just started tugging. Not the safest with chains...but what else we got to do? No...I had no hi lift jack becasue I had remoed the top and didn't want my Blazer to be a garage sale to some low lifes who can't buy their own stuff!! After about 10 full tugs it started to move. Then I heard "SNAP". After about the 15th I was going up the hill. Found a tree root underneath. Strong tree. Reminded me of the Wizard of Oz with the talking trees....
    Damage: Ruts the size of 44s, rear tail pipe, grass, tree root.
    Oh BTW....I am stock height and 31" BFG M/T tires......pics to come....

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://SK-15.coloradok5.com>http://SK-15.coloradok5.com</A>

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

geez. I hope your repair bill aint too high. Good that your out though.

3. OFFRDK5

Nope...no repair bills. Just alot of power washing and now I have the carpet OUT! Looking for a covering......

SK-15
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://SK-15.coloradok5.com>http://SK-15.coloradok5.com</A>

4. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Hey there mister soggy floorboards! [​IMG] It seems you cant keep that rig out of the bogs. Might I suggest a set of 37" Boggers. Also some lift is in order - I have my 4" lift for sale for $200. That should give you the clearance you need to get out of those "deep" situations. Sounds like you had fun regardless. Hey, next thing on your list to buy (besides my lift kit), buy a good 6" wide strap rated over 40,000 pounds. The strap will help get you out of those sticky situations. Dont want to see you get hurt or maimed by a chain. A local died because of a broken log chain. I wouldnt use them again, expecially topless. If you ever pull from the front, leave your hood up for some protection; from the rear, not sure how to keep that hook from contacting your head - maybe an army helmet with a steel bucket on top.

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com</font color=blue>

5. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

What, no water or mud in the engine this time! [​IMG] C'mon, you're gonna let us down. What about water in the floorboards?! I agree with Neil, you need to hack the fenders and get some Boggers. Then you can really get stuck! [​IMG] Can't wait to see the pics.

BIGJ

6. blazerbum

blazerbum Registered Member

weeeell been there done that boy does that suck but i had to be stupid and try to rock mine out yes with the top off its amazing how much mud gets in the cab and on you hope you got some good pics .

7. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

help me out here a little. i always thought that a chain was the safe thing to tow or pull with, because instead of cracking loose like a firehose with no fireman (remember that seen in backdraft)
    the links would collapse against themselves and absorb the force. i have broken log chains pulling stumps out with a tractor, and when the popped they just went limp. if those straps break what stops them from whipping like a cable???
    really not trying to be smart, i just really thought chains (tow not log) were safer
    chris

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

No a Chain is a good way to get somebody killed.
    Recovery strap acts like a rubber band. Keeps from shock loading and ripping bumpers and tow hooks off. It also doesn't weigh 30lbs so when it does break it's not going flying through back windows and windsheilds. Chain is only good for light towing. My Chains have never been used to tow with only to secure or extra lenght when winching (and I don't even feel good about that.
    Sounds like it's time for another Gimmy safty lecture!

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    Grim-Reaper

9. OFFRDK5

The only thing I had was chain at the time. Since I took the top off I had to unload most of my gear. The only things I had left was a spare tire, 4 blocks of wood, chain and a shovel. I was not happy to use chains either...but its what we had.
    I will have to get some info on that lift there Mudzer.....

SK-15

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Actually, just pulling with a chain is very safe. I too have pulled lots of tree stumps with a tractor, using 3/8's inch chain. When the chain would break it would just drop to the ground. If you start yanking (hitting the end of the chain at speed, i.e. using it like a tow strap) it will whip if it breaks. One friend of mine in high school had chain link imprints across the roof of his pickup. Lucky for him it didn't come through the back window. Another friend bought a Suburban that had the same design across its tailgate. [​IMG]

Proper use of a chain is safe, improper use of a chain is not safe.

Tow straps can also be extremely dangerous if you hook the end of one to a part that isn't solidly attached to the vehicle. If the part comes loose while the strap is stretched, the stored energy will launch that part towards the other vehicle at very high speed. I've seen a picture of a Jeep with a strap coming through the back window, through the drivers seat and through the windshield. [​IMG] Luckily, the driver was leaning out the side when the tow hook from the other vehicle came through with the strap...

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...