Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New community tank setup and fish pics.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jagged, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Ares, the Oscar, is healthy and well. He doesn't like any plants in his tank, nor does he like backgrounds. His tank looks pretty bare right now :)

Upgraded the 10 gallon to a 25 gallon, and added a few more fish. Now we've got 9 glofish, 5 tiger barbs, 1 betta, 1 algea eater thing, and a ghost shrimp. Contrary to popular belief, the betta minds his own business.

Here's a couple pics. I like the new tank's colors a lot better than the pink Heather had in the 10 gallon. I'll see how she likes it when she gets home :eek1:

IMG_1946.jpg

IMG_1949.jpg

2. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

Oscars are fun. I have owned at least 15 of them. Our last 2 were around 12" each when I moved and gave them to my friend. When we got them they were around 2", and they all seem to hate plants. All of mine would dig them up. Mine never minded having a background though?

3. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Looks good.

What size tank is your Oscar in? Also, those tiger barbs will be having a fish fry here shortly. They are very territorial and will attack the others. Japanese fighting fish huh? Hmmm...sounds like a rematch between the flyin' tigers and the zero's. Bonzai!

4. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

This guy is funny with backgrounds. I'll install the background, attach the heater via suction cups, run the air line, and attach canister filter lines via suction cups. Ares then decides he doesn't like where I put everything, and moves it. In the process, the suction cups pull the brackground out. Then he figures out he doesn't like the background and gets to work on removing it.

5. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

The Oscar is in a 55 gallon. I got the youngest tigers I could with hopes that they wouldn't become too territorial. I plan on paying close attention to them as time goes on. I was debating between the tiger barbs and some danios for dither fish.

6. Col_Sanders

Dude, you're supposed to tape the background on the outside of the tank.

7. Col_Sanders

Also, I ran an Emperor filter in my 55 gallon with no air and never had any problems. I had everything in that tank from a couple dozen community fish to 3 hand sized Oscars and 2 big plecos. It is waiting to be set back up now.

8. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

:doah:

.... wow. You don't know how many tanks I've had with the background in the tank.

9. Col_Sanders

Now it will be a little harder for him to knock off the heater too. :D

10. gofergurl

gofergurl 1/2 ton status

I had Mitch add more pink to the tank. I didn't like how black it was. Plus the plants are seperated across the tank as everyother one. I like it now. :D

11. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

:haha:

thats awesome.

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I was starting to wonder if mine was backwards:blush:

I probably should learn more about fish. Lucky right now all I have in the house are 2 betas. Each of my girls has one in their room.

13. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I love fish :)

I like catching and eating them, too.

If I had more money to throw around, I'd have some larger aquariums with bigger fish than my oscar. Sitting and watching fish is almost as relaxing as having a cat or pup on your lap.

If you have the space (about 4'x1'), you can get a 55 gallon aquarium. It's a great way to start with a large community of small fish; several mid-sized fish; or one larger fish (9-10"). The big thing to keep in mind is the small fish at the fish store all all juvies. I got my Oscar when he was only 2-3" in January. I finally measured him today at 7".

14. Col_Sanders

I like oscars because they eat ANYTHING you put in there. Used to feed mine grasshoppers, bloodworms, guppies, brine shrimp, and crickets.

15. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Oscars are a lot like cats, too. They get moody (and will stay mad at you for the good part of a day), and they're pretty smart for a fish.