Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Cool Guy Deputy Footgear

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I order me a pair of Magnum Boots. I was willing to give them a second go-round after the first pair I bought when they first came out back in the early 90's didn't agree with me much. Since then, I was sort of sold on them, and then when I did the academy, I threw down a chunk for two pair and have been sold ever since. I put those through the ringer big time and was really impressed with them. For the first few months on the job, I had to make due with a crapass cheap pair that starting giving out pretty fast (they have been moved to SRT duty).

After that pair of no name brand boots, I went back to the tried and true Magnums, using the Stealth model as my prefered footgear. About 6 months ago, I noticed that they were starting to scream for retirement, but in my own good way, I continued wearing them until they finally starting showing signs on the exterior that they needed to be moved to other, less profile gigs about a week and half ago.

So I began the search. Now for those that know the area that I live, we just can't go down to the local police supply store and pick up a new pair of boots. The closest one is only about a 4-5 hour drive. I could schedule a special trip to go shopping, but I wasn't guarateed to pick up a quality boot, so I began looking at my mail/internet ordering options. Also, with the differences in manufacturing, I knew if I kept my options limited to Magnum, I shouldn't have any fitment issues.

So I began checking out the new models from Magnum. Since I wait so long to buy a pair of boots, the model that I replace usually has been replaced by something fancier. I have also been distressed by the over abundance of the side zip boot. Don't like 'em, never will. I want an old fashioned lace up boot. I finally decided that the Stealth II would be the new boot.

The next issue I faced was what vendor. Gall's is nice, but they have a habit of being somewhat expensive, so I started checking other vendors that I have used in the past. I found that Brigade Quartermaster not only had my choice in stock, but was $10 cheaper than Gall's so I placed the order last week.

Today, the replacement pair of boots arrived via the Big Brown Truck.:D

The boot on the left is obviously the old pair and the new Stealth II is on the right.

As you can see, my veteran pair of boots have been through hell. They've seen several rough snowstorms, some fun with drunks in the mud, too many naked old people to count, several scenes where a lot of blood and dismembered body parts were laying and countless hours of court duty. I see a boatload of dirt on a daily basis and seriously, my old boots only got polished for court days, so maybe once to twice a month would I hit them with the Kiwi or Lincolns.
    [​IMG]

The next thing one notices is the sleek, new design. The pseudo nylon material is different than what Magnum has used in the past. I just hope it's cooler.
    [​IMG]

Looking from the back, side of things, there are differences in the design which look like will add in the comfort of my feet when I'm on them for hours on end. Also, if you look closely, you will see the design of the sole has been angled. I've never had a boot with this, though as a kid, I had plenty of shoes like this. I've got to say that in my first few minutes of walking around the house with these puppies on, I could tell the difference in comfort level and my feet were in heaven.
    [​IMG]

This last pic shoes the differences in tread design. You can't tell in the pic, but the tread on my old boots is still pretty good. Doesn't surprise me, even though the Magnums before those, by the time they got retired, the tread was worn pretty good. Those boots saw heavy walking duty on concrete, while these newly retired boots so mostly carpet and dirt time. The one thing I don't get is the new tread is marked "Flex" and "Brake," beats me why. The angle at the back is repeated up front. I think maybe that design will help these boots break-in better.
    [​IMG]

All in all, even though I haven't put these things to the test yet, I believe I'll probably be pretty happy considering my past experiences with Magnum Boots. The one thing that will probably be changed out fast will be the laces. I've always liked having 550 cord laces and these boots, while they state that the laces are hardcore, I doubt it. That's always been a weak point, but it's not like 550 cord is expensive.

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Looks like you hit the bottom of the new ones with tire shine, you could run in place for an hour...

3. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Makes me miss my Danners.

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Does that place sell men's foot ware as well?
    :D :D :D

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

:haha: :haha: :haha: yep and sheep shears...

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

They are brand new, out of the box. All I done was wear them for a few minutes to get used to them. I'm sure they will get broke in once I get the chance to put 'em in Corey's ass:haha: :haha: :haha:

7. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

How the fock did You ever pass the psycho test to become a cop when You talk about another guys ass:eek1: :haha:

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

he just followed up each "ASS" question with the word "HAT" and they knew he was talking about you...

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Exactly:haha: :haha: :haha:

11. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Many of my Sailors swear by the Magnum line. I prefer the Die Hard safety toe short boots. They shine up like a mirror, and are all leather. Only downfall is that they are heavy.

12. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

these boots are made for walking... and thats just what theyll do.. these boots are made for walking... and theyll walk all over you....

theme played over bubbas loudspeaker

13. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Nancy Sinatra or the Megadeth version???:D

14. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I use the 'zipper on the side model' for paintball and misc use. I use the zipper to get them on and off easier and then use the laces for the final squeeze. Why do you not like the zipper model?

Maybe if you would stop tucking your pants into your boots.....??? :p::D

15. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

This "Magnum" brand -

Is this the same brand that was once known as "Hi-Tec"???

I remember wanting a pair of Hi-Tec Magnums when I was in MCT in'93; then the Marine Corps banned them. Too "sneaker-like"... Well duh, that's why all us boot-campers wanted them!

16. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

The one thing I miss about living in Atlanta is the short drive to Brigade Quartermaster. They even carried my size in boots, 15EEEE.

Yep, same company. Hi-tec is the overall company Magnums are their line of military style boots.

17. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Nope, can't do that where I work. In fact we can't wear anything BDU like except on the SRT team. There's even a pair of pants, straight legged and all, but with a cargo pocket and people rave about them, but we can't get them. Of course several of the guys do wear them on the weekend when there's less chance of seeing the head cheese. Of course I have said that I probably do the same thing, but I have a certain "magnetism" when working and in fact, I've drawn out the head cheese on the weekend.:D

Yes. Probably a marketing decision on their part. I had a pair of those when they first came out, bought 'em from the PX. I actually had some fitment problems with those, but finally got them wearable. These days, I pull a pair on and takes maybe two days and they are ready to rock. The one bad thing about them was water retention. I decided to wear them on a walkabout up into the hills of Hawaii one time and the next morning, after a f'n monsoon the night before, we had to walk out. The trail for the most part was a quagmire and my feet suffered bad for it. Would have done better with the tried and true jungle boot. Magnums these days make those earlier boots look way bad. The price isn't bad either for the cheap models either, I paid $75 for these.

18. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Hi-Tec is the parent company. Magnum is a division of Hi-Tec. I would guess they created a separate division since Hi-Tec has really expanded their hiking and sports line.