Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new crazy idea!!! floor board related

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ducttape114, Apr 9, 2003.

1. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

ok, so we all know that floor boards rot. and we all know that visability in a full size is limited right? so what if we replaced those silly sheet metal floor boards with some nice sheets of expanded steel? now i know what your thinking, "ducttape, how will we drive on the street with holes in our floor boards? well, if we invest in HEAVY duty floor mats then it would be fine. this would also make cleaning a breeze, just hose it out. so drive to the trail with the floor mats on, pull them out when you wheel then throw them back in when you hit the road. yes? no? what are your thoughts?????

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I think that your feet owuld be cold and possibly wet, and it would be really loud in the cab. If it were a trail vehicle then it might be OK, but even ther you run into the problem of no solid floor to help support the body. </font>

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Do like I plan on doing and just bolt some Speedglass or lexan to the floor. I'd go with the Speedglass though because it doesn't fade or scratch. Might be more expensive, but well worth it.

4. ducttape114

speed glass eh? i have never used it for anything. you think it will hold up so my boots? and how strong is it? is a rock coming out of the tire at highway speed going to break it?

5. BigOrange90Jimmy

Speedglass is what they use for windshields in NASCAR and other high speed vehicles. Rockstomper sells it and has a video of them testing it.

From what I understand, it's virtually scratch proof and nearly impossible to break.

Petersen's 4 Wheel &amp; Off Road had a video on their website about a year ago of them smacking it with a 10 pound sledge hammer while it was installed on a vehicle. It didn't even mar the surface.

6. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

My buddies rock buggy started off life as a YJ and all thats left now is part of the dash and the hood. All the rest is tube and expanded metal. Not even a windsheild. When I went out in it last it was in the low 50s and I had on jeans, a Tee shirt, a hooded sweatshirt, hat, gloves and a jacket. It wasnt bad at under 30 MPH on the back roads leaving the trail, but on the open road back to my place at 60MPH I frrroze.

Maybe in a full bodied rig it wouldnt be bad, but it was worse than riding a motorcycle IMO. At least you have a hot motor between your legs on a bike.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

speedglass is interesting but think of this, it will be slippery. Especially when wet. I know slippery feet and pedals don't mix for me. Won't be so bad cause your heels would be the only thing on it but could be annoying if you try to plant your feet or move around in the cab. And in a K5 there is a lot of body flex so you better secure that well and reinforce for the metal you removed.

8. ducttape114

cool, im gonna look into this stuff

9. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Damn you beat me to the punch line. I'm pricing 1/2" plexy for peep holes in the floor boards /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

10. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well how about Speed Glass with a section of expanded steel over it for traction? It would still be clear but not slippery. Good idea?? I dunno sounds kinda cool though.

-Brian

11. BigOrange90Jimmy

There ya go! You'd get protection from the weather like metal and the vision of glass. Can't beat that.

12. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

Speed glass gets dirty and you lose the visibility you were looking for. Both would be pure trail rigs, I would go for the steel mesh.

13. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

But you would run into the problem of not being able to clean the speed glass under the steel mesh... The mesh would have to be romovable to be able to clean the glass so you can actually see through it /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

14. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

Ducttape, you may be a genius. You know what they say...Often times, genius is misunderstood. Or do they say , It is a fine line between genius and insanity?

Either way, you've got a good idea. Maybe "selective" use of the expanded metal to act as a floor drain(s).

Break out the tools and dig in.

Let me know how it goes.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

15. ducttape114

yeah i thought about the expanded steel over the glass but i had the same concern about keeping it clean. plus if im going to all the trouble of improvng visability it would be a shame to cover part of it with steel.

i have a question though. from what i understand, this speed glass stuff is un-scuffable. like, it cannot be scratched or cracked or get hazy. am i wrong? i got into a little argument with a buddy of mine cuz he said that lexan and speed glass were the same product made by different companys and that the speed glass would scratch too. so i didnt want to call BS on him because i wasnt sure. also, does anyone know where i can buy this stuff by the sheet?

16. BigOrange90Jimmy

Lexan and Speedglass are NOT the same thing. They are almost two entirely different products with the same intention. Lexan will become hazy and scratch, Speedglass will not.

You can call Rockstomper and ask them about buying it buy the sheet. It WILL BE expensive though. A Speedglass replacement windshield for a Toyota like I'm building is $300+. You have to take into consideration, though, that the windshield is already formed and cut to fit.